Can I use security keys for a PC?

I would like to purchase a security key, however, I use a PC, not a MAC, and it looks like the only security key options are for MACS. Is this the case, or will the adapter work?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 6:35 AM

More info is available here:

About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support

CAUTION: DO note that if you elect to use security keys, they become the ONLY means of 2FA for your AppleID.

Meaning that if - for example - your iPhone is lost, damaged, or stolen; you MUST have physical access to one of your pre-registered hardware security keys in order to sign-in the replacement phone to your AppleID.

Restated: NONE the “other” methods to receive or generate 2FA Verification Codes as described in THIS document will work IF Security Keys are installed:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 6:35 AM in response to Exclusive0804

More info is available here:

About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support

CAUTION: DO note that if you elect to use security keys, they become the ONLY means of 2FA for your AppleID.

Meaning that if - for example - your iPhone is lost, damaged, or stolen; you MUST have physical access to one of your pre-registered hardware security keys in order to sign-in the replacement phone to your AppleID.

Restated: NONE the “other” methods to receive or generate 2FA Verification Codes as described in THIS document will work IF Security Keys are installed:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Can I use security keys for a PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.