Can’t enable iCloud Drive on my iPad pro, toggle switch reverts to off when I try to “sync this iPad”

If I go to the “iCloud drive” and try to turn on add “sync this iPad” , but the toggle switch turns off after I click the “upgrade” button.

I initially set up my iPad with a different Apple ID accidentally. (I had an old xxx@gmail.com account on the iphone I used to start the setup, changed it to xxx@gmail.com when I realized my mistake). I do not use the xxx@me.com anymore.

When I go to the icloud.com website, I get a blank screen when I log in and try to upload to iCloud Drive, I get a blank screen.

The iPad is set up to back up to iCloud, and seems to be backing up ok, but I can’t turn on the iDrive sync to iCloud.

I’m on IOS 16.6.1, 512GB, with 422GB free.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 12:55 PM

Hey civilpooch,

Earlier you mention having iPadOS 16.6.1 installed. The current version is iPadOS 16.7.1, so take a moment to back up your iPad and update. This guide can help with both steps: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

After updating, see if you're then able to turn on iCloud Drive: Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support to look into this with you more: Get Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2023 12:55 PM in response to civilpooch

Hey civilpooch,

Earlier you mention having iPadOS 16.6.1 installed. The current version is iPadOS 16.7.1, so take a moment to back up your iPad and update. This guide can help with both steps: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

After updating, see if you're then able to turn on iCloud Drive: Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support to look into this with you more: Get Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Oct 17, 2023 8:14 AM in response to civilpooch

Hello civilpooch,  

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.  

Start here if you cannot connect all features of your iCloud account with your iPad: If you can't connect or sign in to iCloud - Apple Support

It can also help to restart and update your device: 

Restart your iPad - Apple Support

Update your iPhone or iPad.

Please contact Apple Support directly if you continue to notice any unexpected behavior: Apple Support

All the best! 

Oct 17, 2023 12:05 PM in response to JJRASC

I have no problem signing in to iCloud. I have restarted my iPad. My iPad is running latest browser.

As I said, when I try to turn on the icons drive, the toggle switch reverts to off right away.

When I try to open the drive on the web page from my Apple desktop, the page it opens is completely blank.

My iPad says it's backing up to the iCloud, but I can't enable iCloud drive on my iPad.

Is this maybe related to me accidentally setting up my iPad on xxx@me.com and then, later, changing my iPad to xxx@gmail.com, my preferred apple id in use on my other apple products.

(xxx@gmail.com) is obviously not my email)

I don't know what to do.

Can’t enable iCloud Drive on my iPad pro, toggle switch reverts to off when I try to “sync this iPad”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.