How to connect a second screen?

Hello!

I got an AOC screen on my Mac Studio, with two HDMI connections. I bought a second screen (a Samsung) I want to connect to my Mac Studio as well. How do I do this?

I tried to connect the new screen into one of the free HDMI-slots on the "main" screen, but it did not work.

Could it work with an HDMI/USB-C connection to the back of the Mac?

//

Thanks for any replies!

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 8:39 AM

AOC: 1920 by 1080

connectivity:

HDMI 1.4 x 2 (only)

Samsung LS24D390

1920 by 1080

connectivity:

HDMI 1 each

one or the other can be used with a USB-C -> HDMI adapter/cable

For 1920 by 1080 (but NOT higher) you can use a front USB port if you need to, because the date rate required is just under 10 G bits/sec. For higher resolutions, a back port would be required.

in general, HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 8:39 AM in response to Xathan

AOC: 1920 by 1080

connectivity:

HDMI 1.4 x 2 (only)

Samsung LS24D390

1920 by 1080

connectivity:

HDMI 1 each

one or the other can be used with a USB-C -> HDMI adapter/cable

For 1920 by 1080 (but NOT higher) you can use a front USB port if you need to, because the date rate required is just under 10 G bits/sec. For higher resolutions, a back port would be required.

in general, HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

Oct 16, 2023 8:21 AM in response to Xathan

generally yes, but it depends on what resolutions are involved, because the data rates can be ferocious.

Connect a display to Mac Studio - Apple Support

Exactly what make&model are each of your displays, or a link to their specs?

Mac Studio Max or Ultra? Front USB ports on the Max are limited to 10 G Bit/sec, not quite enough for some displays.

How to connect a second screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.