iPhone will not scroll down (fixed)

In my iphone (15 pro max) settings, i could not scroll to the bottom of a list. it would show the full list for a second, then snap up about an inch. i could drag down to show the last 2 items, but when i let go the screen would slide back up (and the sidebar/scrollbar on side would stretch and bounce like this was fun).

I found a thread here from shredhead1080, back in January 27, 2021 describing the same problem with an iphone 8, with over 800 "me too" clicks. But it wouldn't let me reply with the solution. promped me to create this new thread.

The Solution:

Had to go into settings : Display & Brightness - and scroll to the bottom for "Display Zoom" (which thankfully stayed on screen probably because it was a singular element instead of a long list). I was in "Larger Text", so i switched down to Default. there was a popup about needing to restart the phone, but when I clicked ok the phone turned black for several seconds. I had no idea if it had just made the change or not, because this entire user experience is about holding my hand and hiding details.

Back in my username settings area, i still couldn't scroll down. I don't know of anyway to easily "restart" the phone. so i held down right side magic button and left side volume down button until it let me power off. then i held right side button again to restart. and then i could tell the fonts were definitely smaller. and then the scrolling-to-bottom-of-list worked perfectly in settings.

Found this all very spooky and frustrating. So sharing here in case it helps others. (if there is a better way to fix this, please do let me know. I'm guessing this shows apple has had a problem with this for years and can't find a tech genius anywhere on this planet with the expertise needed to let the iphone"scoll properly." I will take up religion and start praying to some dark god in the hopes this will help

(I was doing this all to try and select my old iPhone from the long list of apple items I own, so I could remove it from my account for sending it back in exchange for my new iPhone. Momentary panic when i couldn't physically do what the apple website was ordering me to do. Disturbing pscyhological side effect of dumbing everything down for us so it's just magic. eep).

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 10:01 AM

Hi warrenEBB,

While you have found a workaround this isn't expected behavior. You can double-check your motion and accessibility settings with the help of the articles below, and adjust to test.

Reduce screen motion on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use AssistiveTouch on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

However to report the issue and further assist, reach out to Apple Support directly here: Get Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2023 10:01 AM in response to warrenEBB

Hi warrenEBB,

While you have found a workaround this isn't expected behavior. You can double-check your motion and accessibility settings with the help of the articles below, and adjust to test.

Reduce screen motion on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use AssistiveTouch on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

However to report the issue and further assist, reach out to Apple Support directly here: Get Support

Cheers.

Feb 13, 2024 9:54 AM in response to warrenEBB

This has not been resolved! I called Apple and they said it doesn’t happen all the time so it’s ok. But when I open a contact I can not scroll up more than a cm, when I do the contacts information has gone. The only way around it is going out of the contact and then back in💁. Didn’t happen on my 13 so didn’t expect it on the 15 pro.

Feb 27, 2024 3:40 PM in response to warrenEBB

I found a technique that works! At least it did for me in this scenario…. So, when I pinched the side of the screen to reduce the overall display of the webpage, I could see the button at the bottom. But when I let go of the pinch, the screen snapped back to a larger size, and I could no longer see the button I needed to press.

What I did was a screen search for whatever the button is called, like “next” or “submit”. The search bar says it finds 1 of 1 words, meaning the it found the word on the button (assuming it’s the only time that word shows up on that page). The search also highlights the word, right? Or typically it should. So with that searched word found, I leave that alone and then v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y pinched the side of the screen, just enough so it would shrink the page enough for me to see the top part of the highlighted word. Most of the time when I let go of the pinch it snapped back. But every now and then it would barely stay open, as if the software is trying its best to show you the highlighted word. As long as I could see the top part of the highlight, then I could press on that and the whole button would depress as well. Whew!

Not a fix, but a workaround. I still want it fixed permanently so this technique isn’t needed. It’s very tedious and time-consuming. But at least I could access the button in a pinch (pun intended!). Good luck.

iPhone will not scroll down (fixed)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.