Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Allow different "Natural scrolling" bindings for mouse and trackpad.

It would be great to add a feature that allows different bindings for an external mouse and trackpad for the "Natural scrolling" setting. I believe that many would agree that "Natural scrolling" enabled works great on the trackpad but feels very unnatural on an external mouse. When I scroll down on the mouse wheel, I expect to scroll down the page rather than up (up is the behavior with "Natural scrolling" enabled). Thus, I would like to keep "Natural scrolling" enabled for the trackpad and disabled for the mouse. This is not currently possible because changing the setting affects BOTH.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 1:49 PM

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Apple doesn't make a mouse with a scroll wheel, so my guess is they wouldn't waste time with it.

Try thinking about the scroll wheel as being the document you are scrolling. Push up to push the page up. Pull back to pull the top of the page down into view.

6 replies

Allow different "Natural scrolling" bindings for mouse and trackpad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.