iPhone volume keeps turning down automatically on its own

While listening to YouTube I will be holding the phone and as I turn it to face me the volume automatically lowers significantly.

Now, before anyone suggests it, can I just make it very clear that I have googled this already and I have already TURNED OFF the Attention Aware feature. So that is not what is causing it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give me.

Phil

iPhone 12 mini. iOS 17.

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 9:17 AM

12 replies

Oct 18, 2023 8:44 AM in response to Sleeplyhead1978

Hi Sleeplyhead1978,

Since the volume on your iPhone is automatically adjusting on its own, we recommend that you try the steps here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later
1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
The volume button is located on the left side of the device, and the side button is located on the right
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart your iPhone 6, 7, 8, or SE (2nd or 3rd generation)
1. Press and hold the side button until the power-off slider appears.
""
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart your iPhone SE (1st generation), 5, or earlier
1. Press and hold the top button until the power-off slider appears.
The power button is located on the top of the device
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.

We recommend the steps above because while a restart can seem unimportant, it can actually resolve many minor issues with the device.

If you’re still experiencing the same issue, then we suggest that you check out the steps here: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2023 9:13 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

so actually it seems to be fixed now, but not from restarting it as suggested.

i had tried restarting it twice, and it still had the issue.

But yesterday I actually let the phone die completely on its own. Then charged it up and when it was back on, the issue had finally gone.

so its solved, but not via restarting it!

Hopefully that helps someone else with the same issue!

Cheers,

Phil

Nov 15, 2023 3:59 PM in response to Sleeplyhead1978

Having a similar problem. Thought it was iOS, have done tons of resets, checked all settings via the support community and had 2 calls with Apple Support which included running analytics to see if a hardware problem. Then thought it was the case; tried without case, then with a new case, seemed ok for a couple of days and now the problem is back. Curious for other suggestions.

May 5, 2024 4:01 PM in response to leslyhiggins

Finally went to the Genius Bar where my tech figured it out 👍

it’s my iwatch. When I’m playing music, the watch goes to “now playing” and the tech explained that in that mode, the crown on the watch becomes the volume dial. So when running or biking, the crown is getting hit by a glove, sleeve or bony wrist. Now I check to make sure the watch is not displaying “now playing” and I am not having any problems .

May 5, 2024 4:09 PM in response to J_Johnnyboy

My problem was sporadic but finally resolved at the Genius Bar recently. It apparently was my Apple Watch! My problem occurred when playing music and either cycling or running. The watch would display the “Now playing” app, and then the crown becomes a volume dial. While active, the crown on my watch would get nudged by a glove, sleeve or my wrist. Now I make sure the “now playing” app isn’t showing when I’m listening, and the problem has not recurred.

iPhone volume keeps turning down automatically on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.