Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I can’t click on certain parts of my screen on my MacBook Air.

There is a certain part of my screen that I just cannot click, it runs almost from the left to the right of the screen for a few centimetres right below where the search bar is on most browsers. I have tried using my Bluetooth mouse and a built in trackpad but the same issue occurs no matter what. It’s getting really annoying, I don’t know what to do.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 5:27 PM

Hi,

Same for me.

I tried using Safari under the same webpage and full screen and I have no issues, to the problem seems to be appearing only when using Chrome browser.

Update:

I've updated my Chrome to version 118.0.5993.116 and it seems to be working okay now.

Similar questions

42 replies

Oct 18, 2023 8:56 PM in response to Corza21

Corza21 Said:

"I can’t click on certain parts of my screen on my MacBook Air.: There is a certain part of my screen that I just cannot click, it runs almost from the left to the right of the screen for a few centimetres right below where the search bar is on most browsers. I have tried using my Bluetooth mouse and a built in trackpad but the same issue occurs no matter what. It’s getting really annoying, I don’t know what to do."

-------

Troubleshooting Cursor and Screen Unresponsiveness:

Perform the Following...

A. Try Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode, and then see if you get the same error. In Safe Mode, Login Items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues.

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Try the cursor click.

B. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

C. Single-Out this User:

For troubleshooting purposes, create a new Administrator user. Log into it, and then see if you get this error. If not, then it is an error with the current user. If so, then it is an error with the entire macOS. Trash this user once this has been tried.

D. Single-Out this User:

For troubleshooting purposes, create a new Administrator user. Log into it, and then see if you get this error. If not, then it is an error with the current user. If so, then it is an error with the entire macOS. Trash this user once this has been tried.

If nothing above works...

E. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r]. To prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, prior to the reinstall.

Oct 23, 2023 7:11 PM in response to Corza21

I am having the same issue, after I factory reseted my macbook pro. I have been using it for a year but only after resetting my macbook I see this issue. Not sure what to do. My mouse is not clickable in the top right corner of the screen. If I am able to minimize the windows, then I am able to click the objects in the window. So it shows a clear issue with the hardware screen. From this thread, it looks like a recent issue.

Oct 25, 2023 7:29 PM in response to Corza21

This exact thing started happening to me two weeks ago. I have the new macbook air 15 inch and its only been like two months since having it. I had a whole conversation with apple support and they suggested i update my computer (to sonoma) and it would most likely fix it. It worked for about a day! And then it started again but now its in other random spots and comes and goes, and my track pad is useless. Its getting pretty annoying.

Oct 26, 2023 11:10 AM in response to swaags2

swaags2 Said:

I suspect this user is experiencing this in Chrome, as it is a known issue on chrome for mac in the last week or so. I would narrow down if it is happening in all software first before telling them to reinstall their OS

———-

Why to Reinstall:

There’s nothing mentioned by I’m the OP of chrome. Read along the posts of this thread, and you’ll see how Chrome comes about. Welcome to ASC.

Oct 26, 2023 2:13 AM in response to Corza21

I thought it was just me. It was driving crazy this weekend. I'll shut down chrome restart, and after awhile it would happen again. I even uninstalled chrome because I thought it was a bug. I downloaded brave and thought I was out of the woods until a few minutes ago. WTF! Like someone else here mentioned, if I take it out of full screen it works, even if I stretch the browser window to cover the screen. Yeah, this suuuper frustating. Has anyone gotten a response from apple? It's got to be happening everywhere. The funny thing is, I read somewhere that the update a little glitchy, but I figured hey, its apple they'll get it right before they release it. Boy, was I wrong!

Nov 2, 2023 7:19 PM in response to Corza21

EDIT: Corza21 I just read that Leafy_205 suggested going to chrome://flags/#enable-gpu-rasterization and changing the dropdown for "GPU Rasterization" from "Default" to "Enabled". I have no idea what any of that means, but I changed the setting and restarted Chrome. The below problem is now fixed. Hope this helps!

ORIGINAL ISSUE: I have a Macbook Pro mid-2012 with the same issues, so it must not be related to the recent OS updates as mine can't update anymore. The issue clicking on the right side of the screen happens to me in Chrome while in full screen. But my keyboard can select those right-hand buttons using tab>enter. When I go out of full-screen mode, the right-hand side of my browser screen becomes responsive as normal again.

I'm not aware of having recently updated Chrome, but maybe it did so automatically.

Is this a Mac software/hardware issue, a Chrome software issue, or some weird combo?

Anyone? Bueller?

I can’t click on certain parts of my screen on my MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.