Fake Find My Mac

My mac was stolen last September. I immediately asked to erase the device (which did no longer come online). Last night I received a message that my device was found online,see the following screenshot

There was a link that I followed. Unfortunately it seems to be a fake, trying to steal my AppleID passwd

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 6:04 PM

frinaudo wrote:
Last night I received a message ...

Which was not from Apple.

You can see for yourself by examining the "From" address. It is not shown in your screenshot (and I don't want you to show it) but if you click on Find Devices to reveal the address, you will see it was not from any Apple domain.

The first clue was that you erased the Mac a while ago. Receiving an email ostensibly from Apple after all this time is the first of what should be several "red flags".

Please familiarize yourself with the following Apple support documents:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

The Internet is a target-rich environment for criminals. Always be aware of that fact and remain vigilant.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 6:04 PM in response to frinaudo

frinaudo wrote:
Last night I received a message ...

Which was not from Apple.

You can see for yourself by examining the "From" address. It is not shown in your screenshot (and I don't want you to show it) but if you click on Find Devices to reveal the address, you will see it was not from any Apple domain.

The first clue was that you erased the Mac a while ago. Receiving an email ostensibly from Apple after all this time is the first of what should be several "red flags".

Please familiarize yourself with the following Apple support documents:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

The Internet is a target-rich environment for criminals. Always be aware of that fact and remain vigilant.

Oct 18, 2023 8:45 AM in response to ku4hx

The message and the web site indicated in the message are both a threat

findmy-apps.online does not belong to Apple, despite everything seems to be the original apple page.... but in this case you enter your appleId password and it finishes in the hackers' hands.

REPLACE IMMEDIATELY THE APPLEID passwd on all your devices !!!!!

PS: it is not possible to erase a device that is already supposed to be erased. And after a while it simply disappears from the list of your devices and you cannot longer do anything. I contacted Apple Support and wanted at least give them the serial of the stolen device, in case one day it appears in some Apple Store for intervention..... but it seems a waste of time...

Fake Find My Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.