Indian debit card doesn't work on Apple search ad

Hello, I'm trying to run ad campaign through Apple search ad but I found out that Indian card is not accepted by Apple search ad due to some RBI policy

Is there alternative available for Indians? I'm unable to get card from outside of India, So I'm exploring if there is any alternative available

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 2:20 PM

Nobody here can assist with this. You’ll need to discuss it with Apple.

Apple has documented the Search Ads payment requirements here:

https://searchads.apple.com/help/get-started/0030-set-your-payment-method

Apple does not accept payments for search ads from payment cards issued from Indian banks:

If you cannot acquire a payment card from elsewhere, search ads are seemingly not an option.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 2:20 PM in response to shakkygoyal

Nobody here can assist with this. You’ll need to discuss it with Apple.

Apple has documented the Search Ads payment requirements here:

https://searchads.apple.com/help/get-started/0030-set-your-payment-method

Apple does not accept payments for search ads from payment cards issued from Indian banks:

If you cannot acquire a payment card from elsewhere, search ads are seemingly not an option.

Oct 18, 2023 10:55 AM in response to shakkygoyal

I'm sure there are Indian credit cards that will work. Just find a bank that offers a credit card far too expensive for any local people to afford. Get that one. Apple will probably accept it. Other credit cards, debit cards, gift cards, any other payment systems that don't have a large, established presence in northern California will not work.

I just did a web search for the largest banks in India. They are:

#1 HDFC Bank

#2 ICICI Bank

#3 SBI

#4 Kotak Mahindra

#5 Axis Bank

#6 IndusInd Bank

#7 Bank of Baroda

#8 Punjab National Bank

#9 Union Bank of India

#10 IDBI Bank

Look at these and see which ones have branches in California. Those are the ones you want. I know I've seen ICICI branches here in Canada. That would be my recommendation.

Oct 18, 2023 11:12 AM in response to etresoft

I already tried HDFC bank card, it still throws the same error, I can go for ICIC too but it won't make any difference because all of Indian bank would be lying under RBI policies, so apple won't accept it

and Apple clearly convey in the error message that any debit or credit issued by bank of India will not be accepted, so I really have low hope on ICIC bank that it would work

but I will give it a try

Oct 18, 2023 2:08 PM in response to shakkygoyal

shakkygoyal wrote:

I will give it a try

Don't bother. I was wrong. Your question was very similar to similar questions from people trying to setup Apple Developer accounts outside of the US. Apple is very strict about the credit card being used. Gift cards, even Apple ones, App Store credit, other systems, etc. - none of that works. Only major credit cards

However, this RBI issue is something else entirely. I recommend you contact Apple directly. You have to be careful here. Cards issues in other countries may not be accepted and could put your account under suspicion of fraud. You don't want that. But since your question isn't really about a developer issue, you might have more leeway about credit cards than strict developer account payments. All you can do is contact Apple directly for suggestions. Primarily you need to find out what alternative payment methods you can use that will not trigger any fraud alerts on your Apple account. You don't want to get banned. Otherwise, the RBI might change this policy one day and everything will be fixed, but not for you. You'll still be banned.

Nov 5, 2023 10:23 AM in response to sivgom

sivgom wrote:

This is very frustrating. I don't know who's fault is this, RBI's or Apple's.

This is RBI's rule, not Apple's.

Meanwhile other companies like Google and Meta do accept Indian credit cards.

But for Google and Meta, advertising revenue is 100% of their revenue stream. Apple makes most of its money from hardware sales. Only 6% of Apple's iPhone sales come from India. Apple's ad search revenue is much smaller than that, probably not enough to pay people to manage it under the new system.

Nov 5, 2023 8:01 PM in response to etresoft

While that may be the case, it is hard to imagine for a layman that Apple cannot financially afford to comply with RBI credit card compliance requirements, while countless tiny companies apparently can. It is really hurting the app developers as they cannot fairly compete with others in the App Store for visibility.

Indian debit card doesn't work on Apple search ad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.