Upgrading Safari on MAC running Catalina 10.15.7

My MAC has Catalina 10.15.7 I'm getting a message that I need to upgrade Safari, but there does not seem to be a newer version available for my MAC. Is there a newer version of Safari available?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 10:15 AM

The highest possible version of Safari with Catalina 10.15.7 is Safari 15.6.1

To update Safari beyond that you would need to upgrade your macOS if you can.

The model year of an iMac is available at Apple menu > About This Mac.

A late 2012 through late 2013 iMac can be upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

A mid 2014 and late 2014 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur macOS 11 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

A late 2015 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Monterey macOS 12 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

A 2017 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Ventura macOS 13 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support  

A 2019 or later iMac can be upgraded to the current version of Sonoma macOS 14. See:How to upgrade to macOS Sonoma - Apple Support

If you cannot or don't want to upgrade beyond Catalina, another option is to use a 3rd party browser that supports running their latest version, instead of using Safari. One such option is Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2023 10:15 AM in response to SP7567

The highest possible version of Safari with Catalina 10.15.7 is Safari 15.6.1

To update Safari beyond that you would need to upgrade your macOS if you can.

The model year of an iMac is available at Apple menu > About This Mac.

A late 2012 through late 2013 iMac can be upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

A mid 2014 and late 2014 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Big Sur macOS 11 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

A late 2015 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Monterey macOS 12 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

A 2017 iMac can be upgraded to the latest version of Ventura macOS 13 but no later. See: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support  

A 2019 or later iMac can be upgraded to the current version of Sonoma macOS 14. See:How to upgrade to macOS Sonoma - Apple Support

If you cannot or don't want to upgrade beyond Catalina, another option is to use a 3rd party browser that supports running their latest version, instead of using Safari. One such option is Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/

Upgrading Safari on MAC running Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.