Connection problems with brand new MacBook ...

About a week ago I set up my new 15" MacBook. It worked perfectly for a few hours then all of a sudden started telling me I was not connected to the internet. That said, the internet symbol at the top was clearly telling me that I was and that I was connected to my own network ... the only one I've had for many years. My desktop, iPhone printer and tv are having no issues at all and are connected to that network. I've spoken several times to Comcast and nothing has changed. Ever since this situation began this situation has continued, only now the pattern is that I can get online, things go okay, then within a few minutes I'm thrown offline. The internet symbol at the top ALWAYS contradicts this, showing that I am connected, and to my own network. I'm going crazy. Btw don't know if it's relevant but the two browsers I use are Safari and Firefox.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 3:25 PM

I can understand your frustration!

First off, know that the WiFi indicator in the Apple menu bar indicates you're connected to WiFi (i.e. the connection to your router)...but it doesn't necessarily mean you're connected to the internet. If you're concerned about WiFi issues, I'd recommend trying the Wireless Diagnostics, which are available if you hold the Option key down and click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar. See if these diagnostics tell you anything. This Apple Support article explains the use of Wireless Diagnostics: Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

You didn't say if you get the same behavior with both browsers, or just Safari?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2023 3:25 PM in response to northcoastkitty

I can understand your frustration!

First off, know that the WiFi indicator in the Apple menu bar indicates you're connected to WiFi (i.e. the connection to your router)...but it doesn't necessarily mean you're connected to the internet. If you're concerned about WiFi issues, I'd recommend trying the Wireless Diagnostics, which are available if you hold the Option key down and click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar. See if these diagnostics tell you anything. This Apple Support article explains the use of Wireless Diagnostics: Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

You didn't say if you get the same behavior with both browsers, or just Safari?

Connection problems with brand new MacBook ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.