Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Unable to connect MacBook with iPad through Handoff

Hi all,

I'm facing some issues when I try to connect my MacBook Air 15" to my iPad Pro through Handoff.

I followed any possible advice, such as turning on and off the handoff switch on both the Mac and the iPad, but apparently, the feature seems to work only sometimes.

Both devices are connected with the same ID Apple, same Wi-Fi network, Bluetooth switched on and both are properly updated.

The Mac doesn't see the iPad when I try to connect it with Sidecar. Continuity doesn't work either.

Do I miss something?

Thanks

Matteo

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

MacBook Air 15″

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 8:31 AM

Greetings Matteo Bossetti,

Welcome to to Apple Support Communities. It appears that you have covered all of your bases then it comes to setting up Handoff correctly:

"Use Handoff with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch that meets the Continuity system requirements. Handoff works when your devices are near each other and set up as follows.

• Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
    • To see the Apple ID used by Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then go to General > Apple ID.
  • Each device has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on.
  • Each device has Handoff turned on.
  • Mac with macOS Ventura or later: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General in the sidebar, then click AirDrop & Handoff on the right. Turn on “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
  • Mac with earlier versions of macOS: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click General, then select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
  • iPhone or iPad: Go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff, then turn on Handoff.
  • Apple Watch: In the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap General and turn on Enable Handoff. Apple Watch supports handing off from your watch to your iPhone or Mac."

More details here: Use Handoff to continue tasks on your other devices

If you have a VPN or a profile installed on any of your devices, we suggest removing them to see if that helps.

If that's not the case, or if the issue persists after removing them, we suggest that you reach out to Apple directly concerning this issue. They will be able to look further into this with you: Get Support

Best wishes.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2023 8:31 AM in response to Matteo Bossetti

Greetings Matteo Bossetti,

Welcome to to Apple Support Communities. It appears that you have covered all of your bases then it comes to setting up Handoff correctly:

"Use Handoff with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch that meets the Continuity system requirements. Handoff works when your devices are near each other and set up as follows.

• Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
    • To see the Apple ID used by Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then go to General > Apple ID.
  • Each device has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on.
  • Each device has Handoff turned on.
  • Mac with macOS Ventura or later: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General in the sidebar, then click AirDrop & Handoff on the right. Turn on “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
  • Mac with earlier versions of macOS: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click General, then select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
  • iPhone or iPad: Go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff, then turn on Handoff.
  • Apple Watch: In the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap General and turn on Enable Handoff. Apple Watch supports handing off from your watch to your iPhone or Mac."

More details here: Use Handoff to continue tasks on your other devices

If you have a VPN or a profile installed on any of your devices, we suggest removing them to see if that helps.

If that's not the case, or if the issue persists after removing them, we suggest that you reach out to Apple directly concerning this issue. They will be able to look further into this with you: Get Support

Best wishes.

Oct 24, 2023 1:36 PM in response to Matteo Bossetti

I was having the same issue with handoff between iPad, MBP, and iPhone. Neither Universal Clipboard or AirDrop worked. On a whim, I disconnected from VPN and both handoffs worked.

I wish I had found Grace2211's post ... they mentioned removing the VPN, and that did the trick....Thanks, Grade2211 !

Experimenting a little further between my devices with AirDrop, I found:

• Disabling VPN on the sending device will reveal the eligible receiving devices (no devices were shown until I disabled VPN)
  • The receiving devices won't get any alert or AirDrops unless VPN is also disabled on them. So basically, for a transaction to occur, VPN has to be disabled on both ends.

I know both Universal Clipboard and AirDrop used to work before Sonoma with VPN enable, so it appears we lost functionality somewhere along. Hope this helps! -d

Unable to connect MacBook with iPad through Handoff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.