What is power consumption of 21.5 inch iMac

How many kilowatts per hour does my 21.5 inch iMac14.1 intel core iMac (late 2013 model)

use when I leave it on sleep mode overnight ?

Snd what sort of power consumption is used when not in sleep mode but being used.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 6:28 AM

I pasted your question into a search engine and it came up with this instantly.

iMac power consumption and thermal output – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 20, 2023 9:56 AM in response to Rudegar

How much power consumption is required to manufacture produce distribute transport sell and dispose of that 9v battery?

Add that result to the power consumed by the power consumption meter or multimeter or whatever else is used to measure power consumption of an iMac (which we already know).

I don't mean to beat the subject to death; I like measuring things too and I don't necessarily believe everything manufacturers publish. But I'm also cognizant of the limitations inherent in doing so (equipment limitations, among others) and assumptions that may be commonly accepted but tend to disregard reality... can't see the forest through the trees kind of thinking.

Might be worth reviewing: Help getting mac to sleep in hibernate mode - Apple Community

Oct 20, 2023 9:59 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

How much power does a power consumption meter consume?

Just curious.

Sadly, I didn't pay as much attention to my electrician father's lessons as perhaps I should have. I think I could still use a multimeter to find the bad bulbs in Xmas lights wired in series but most lights aren't wired that way anymore so, kind of useless.

Oct 20, 2023 10:02 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

I don't mean to beat the subject to death; I like measuring things too and I don't necessarily believe everything manufacturers publish. But I'm also cognizant of the limitations inherent in doing so (equipment limitations, among others) and assumptions that may be commonly accepted but tend to disregard reality... can't see the forest through the trees kind of thinking.

For the most part, I agree with you. The only times I've really used any kind of meter myself is when my electricity bill suddenly seems wrong. Generally, I try to be careful (being raised by folks who grew up in the Depression install some very thrifty habits) and not worry too much about it.

Oct 20, 2023 10:34 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

What's worse is they all use LEDs these days. You wind up throwing away the whole string.

So true. It was an Xmas ritual for me and my dad to test the light strings when I was a kid. The strings were decades old. I never remember buying new ones.

Energy efficiency mandates have only given us increasing amounts of waste. I suppose that's why I enjoy helping people keep their old obsolete Macs in service.

It's rather like the cloth diapers/disposable diapers question. Does the amount of water you need to wash a cloth diaper outweigh the use of plastic? And how is an average person to figure out those questions? I reuse foil and plastic bags unless they have to be seriously washed. And I still don't know if I'm doing the right thing. But, I spend less money on foil.

What is power consumption of 21.5 inch iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.