Screen Sharing connection failing to resolve sometimes on Ventura 13.6

Just got a new Mac mini M2 Pro and updated to Ventura 13.6 and found that this brand new machine is having issues connecting to my other Macs via Screen Sharing. Sometimes I could get connected to the other Macs. But most of the time it would fail to connect and just show an error dialog: Unable to resolve "XXXX". While my other older Macs were having no issues connecting to the other machines via Screen Sharing.

After looking at the XXXX.vncloc file that had been saved by the Screen Sharing app. I found that it's using an address such as:

vnc://XXXX._rfb._tcp.local

I also found that if I tried to do a new Screen Sharing connection using "XXXX.local" instead.

It would resolve and show the login dialog as expected.

You may need to use the actual ip number as even the XXXX.local seems to fail to resolve sometimes

Hope this helps someone and that Apple will get this fixed soon

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 8:32 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 20, 2023 8:47 AM in response to wizardlore

1. Check Network Connection:
    • Ensure that both the host and the viewer have a stable and active internet connection.
    • If you're on a corporate network, there may be firewall or security settings that block certain types of network traffic. Check with your network administrator.
  1. Update Software:
    • Make sure that both the host and viewer are using the latest version of Ventura or any screen sharing software you're using. Sometimes, updates include bug fixes.
  1. Restart the Application:
    • Close and restart the screen sharing application. Sometimes, this simple step can resolve minor issues.
  1. Check Permissions:
    • Ensure that the screen sharing application has the necessary permissions to access the screen and network on both the host and viewer devices.
  1. Firewall and Security Software:
    • Check if any security software or firewall settings are blocking the screen sharing application. Configure your security software to allow screen sharing.
  1. Use a Different Screen Sharing Method:
    • If the problem persists, try an alternative method or software for screen sharing. There are various screen sharing applications available, and using a different one might help.
  1. Network Configuration:
    • If you're in a corporate environment, contact your IT department to check if there are any specific network restrictions or configurations that could be causing the issue.
  1. Check for Known Issues:
    • Look for known issues related to Ventura 13.6 or the specific software you're using for screen sharing. The software's website or user forums might provide insights into common problems and solutions.
  1. Reboot Devices:
    • Sometimes, a simple reboot of both the host and viewer devices can resolve connectivity issues.
  1. Test on Different Networks:
    • If possible, test screen sharing on a different network (e.g., using a mobile hotspot) to see if the issue is specific to your current network.
  1. Contact Support:
    • If you've tried all of the above and are still experiencing issues, contact the support team for Apple or the specific screen sharing software for further assistance. Provide them with details about the problem and any error messages you receive.

Screen Sharing connection failing to resolve sometimes on Ventura 13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.