MacBook Pro recognizes the Projector but no display

On a projector I have used successfully in the past year:

Mack book pro m2 2022 USBC, running Sonoma, using Apple AV adapter works to display on a connected monitor, either mirror or extended. However the same configuration when connected to a Projector recognizes the projector, but will not display on the projector. In extended mode the mouse pointer is not displayed on either projector( which shows blue screen) or laptop screen initially. When I slide the track pad down the mouse pointer appears on the laptop screen and is functional. But cannot get anything to the projector screen, still blue.

When I switch to “mirror” mode, still nothing on the projector screen.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2024 3:34 PM

Hey @matt did you get a resolution? (Pun intended). Sounds like I have exactly the same issue as you but with a MacBook Pro 14” M1 and connecting via HDMI.

Similar questions

21 replies

Jan 16, 2024 11:42 PM in response to matt from mount juliet

I'm having the exact same issue on a MacBook Pro 13-inch, M2, 2022 running Sonoma 14.2.1 and using a HDMI adapter and trying to connect to a university classroom projector.

MacBook is clearly recognising the display because if in extended display I can move my mouse off the screen and if in mirrored display I can select to optimise for the external display, but the external display shows nothing. Just black.

No issues with my adapter either as when I got home I can connect to an external computer monitor no issues.

Any updates on what works?

Mar 19, 2024 1:45 PM in response to EruditeLuddite

Just an update on how I solved this in case it’s of use to anyone else.

In my specific context I was lecturing and the wooden podium I was using had connections for VGA and HDMI available.

However I started to suspect that behind the HDMI connector on the podium was something that actually was trying to convert that to a VGA signal. So there was not a “pure” HDMI connection straight to the projector.

According to the venue organisers PC laptops don’t tend to have problems with their projector but Macs do. It’s my suspicion that Macs assume that they can do proper HDMI things with an HDMI cable connected and that PC laptops don’t try to be so clever. And/or that the (hidden and assumed) HDMI to VGA converter was interfering with the Mac to projector signal in some way.

I resolved this in the end by purchasing a USB-C to VGA adaptor from Apple for an extortionate sum and just using the VGA connector on the podium. This is the one - USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter…

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MJ1L2ZM/A

Jan 17, 2024 5:27 PM in response to matt from mount juliet

many users are seeing that recent version of MacOS are MUCH more fussy about CABLES.

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets. it works great at its original resolution of 720i or 720p. At higher resolutions, it quickly develops issues that are complex to solve, and the cables and adapters required to solve are NOT intuitive.

I recommend you buy a 'Ultra' rated cables for making this connection. It can't hurt.

Apr 16, 2024 10:01 AM in response to matt from mount juliet

Hi Matt

I am a SysAdmin at an independent school near the MS Main Campus. Ironically we are 90% Mac here including a plethora of macbook air and pro laptops cycled about every 4 years. We have a smattering of Epson projectors around campus - perhaps 5 of them, some short-throw ceiling mounted and a few on carts.

There's been a lot of trial and error here - different dongles, different devices, different user accounts ... and all the devices regardless of connection DO shift the native reslution ergo they DO recognize something has been connected to the external USBC port ... after all this we do believe there's some issue with the devices handling the inline dongles. As a result we're now using HDMI to USBC cabling in all these applications and this is functional for us across the campus in all applications.

Oct 20, 2023 8:49 AM in response to matt from mount juliet

1. Check the Cable and Adapter:
    • Ensure that the USB-C or Thunderbolt cable and the Apple AV adapter are in good working condition. Try using a different cable or adapter to rule out any hardware issues.
  1. Projector Source Input:
    • Make sure the projector is set to the correct input source. Some projectors have multiple input sources, such as HDMI, VGA, or DisplayPort. Ensure that the projector is set to the input source corresponding to the cable and adapter you are using.
  1. Resolution and Refresh Rate:
    • Check the resolution and refresh rate settings on your MacBook. Sometimes, mismatched settings can cause display issues. Go to "System Preferences" > "Displays" and make sure the resolution is set to a compatible one for the projector.
  1. Try Different Display Modes:
    • You mentioned trying both "extended" and "mirror" modes. In "mirror" mode, both screens should display the same content. Try to switch between these modes and see if it makes a difference. Press Command (⌘) + F1 to toggle between display modes.
  1. Display Arrangement:
    • In extended mode, check the display arrangement settings. It's possible that the projector is not aligned correctly in the display arrangement. Go to "System Preferences" > "Displays" > "Arrangement" and ensure that the projector display is positioned properly relative to your MacBook's display.
  1. Restart Projector:
    • Power cycle the projector. Turn it off, unplug it for a few seconds, and then plug it back in and power it on. Sometimes, projectors can get into a strange state that a restart can resolve.
  1. Update Software:
    • Make sure your macOS is up to date. Sometimes, software updates include fixes for display-related issues. Check for macOS updates and install any available updates.
  1. Reset NVRAM/PRAM:
    • Resetting the NVRAM (non-volatile random-access memory) or PRAM (parameter RAM) on your MacBook can sometimes resolve display issues. To do this, restart your MacBook and hold down Option + Command + P + R until you hear the startup chime twice. Your MacBook will restart.
  1. Check for Projector Firmware Updates:
    • Some projectors have firmware updates available. Check the manufacturer's website for any available updates for your projector model.
  1. Alternate Adapter:
    • If possible, try a different adapter or cable. Sometimes, compatibility issues can arise from specific adapters.
  1. Test on Another Projector or Display:
    • If you have access to another projector or external display, test your MacBook on that to see if the issue is specific to the projector or if it's a MacBook-related problem.
  1. Contact Support:
    • If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider reaching out to Apple support for further assistance.

Oct 20, 2023 9:42 AM in response to matt from mount juliet

I did all of those except the Reset NVRAM/PRAM:

• Resetting the NVRAM (non-volatile random-access memory) or PRAM (parameter RAM) on your MacBook can sometimes resolve display issues. To do this, restart your MacBook and hold down Option + Command + P + R until you hear the startup chime twice. Your MacBook will restart.

and

• Unplugging the projector to clear any cache that might persist. It is ceiling mounted at about 15 feet above finished floor and inaccessible

The last time I connected to the projector a few months ago it worked fine. The only difference in software is that just updated MacOS to Sonoma. I cannot find any Sonoma update related issues online.

Something off is that in Extended mode, it seems like my laptop screen is the Extended Screen, very weird. In all cases the projector screen shows Blue throughout all attempts.

Jan 17, 2024 6:01 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Any suggestions in terms of adapters? Should the standard Apple digital AV adapter work to connect to an AV system with a projector?

Unfortunately I’m unable to buy an actual cable as the cable is already provided and hardwired to the AV system in my university classroom and would need to use an HDMI to USB-C adapter but the one I tried yesterday doesn’t work. Mac recognises av system in displays, but showing blank.

Apr 29, 2024 5:36 AM in response to matt from mount juliet

Hey all,

I work in professional AV for a campus(Not going to name any names) and in my experiences on said campus, one of the best ways we have overcome MacBook problems with projectors is by using an MD - HX Cross Converter box by Decimator Design. Whatever miscommunication is happening between the projector and MacBook can usually be fixed with this box.

MacBook Pro recognizes the Projector but no display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.