Why can’t i update my iphone

i have an IPhone XR and cant update it to ios 16.7.1. Everytime i tried it says it’s updating for several minutes then says there was an error. The update is available for the IPhone 8 and later. I cleared up more than enough storage and have tried powering my phone on and off.

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 1:16 PM

Navigate into Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Give this page a moment to load, then locate the iOS 16.7.1 file, select it and delete it.

Once you've deleted the iOS update file, navigate into Settings > General > Software Update, and try to update your phone again. Given that you have an iPhone XR, I'd suggest updating to iOS 17 instead of the latest version of 16.

If following these steps does not work, then you'll want to try to update your phone using a Mac or PC.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 1:16 PM in response to Iphone_xr_help55

Navigate into Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Give this page a moment to load, then locate the iOS 16.7.1 file, select it and delete it.

Once you've deleted the iOS update file, navigate into Settings > General > Software Update, and try to update your phone again. Given that you have an iPhone XR, I'd suggest updating to iOS 17 instead of the latest version of 16.

If following these steps does not work, then you'll want to try to update your phone using a Mac or PC.

Why can’t i update my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.