You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Iphones already come unlocked?

I am buying a IPhone 13 and I’m from Brasil, so I’m not using any internet service from the US. Does a brand new phone come unlocked?

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 5:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 5:30 PM

Check with the retailer(s) from whom you are considering buying it.

In the U.S., most iPhones purchased from the online Apple Store are unlocked. The page for the iPhone 13 has a FAQ entry ("Will my new iPhone be unlocked?") that reads:

"Yes. An iPhone purchased from apple.com is unlocked. Once your new iPhone is activated, it remains unlocked, which means you can use it with any network that provides service for iPhone. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with an AT&T Installment Plan. It will be locked to AT&T and will only work on the AT&T network for the term of your Installment Plan agreement."

I don't know what the policies are in your region – or for other retailers.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 20, 2023 5:30 PM in response to Ralise

Check with the retailer(s) from whom you are considering buying it.

In the U.S., most iPhones purchased from the online Apple Store are unlocked. The page for the iPhone 13 has a FAQ entry ("Will my new iPhone be unlocked?") that reads:

"Yes. An iPhone purchased from apple.com is unlocked. Once your new iPhone is activated, it remains unlocked, which means you can use it with any network that provides service for iPhone. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with an AT&T Installment Plan. It will be locked to AT&T and will only work on the AT&T network for the term of your Installment Plan agreement."

I don't know what the policies are in your region – or for other retailers.

Oct 20, 2023 5:28 PM in response to Ralise

A new iPhone purchased directly from apple.com in the US and delivered to a US address comes unlocked. So does an iPhone purchased in an Apple store. All other iPhones sold in the US by other dealers are either locked to a carrier or can only be activated in the US and will lock to the first carrier they are used with.

Note that you must be physically in the US to purchase a phone from Apple in the US, and its warranty is only valid in the US.

Oct 20, 2023 5:32 PM in response to Ralise

If you buy it directly from Apple and buy the one that is specifically labeled as unlocked (not one purchased with the intent of getting service with a particular provider) yes. If you buy one for AT&T service they will automatically lock it at activation for a certain amount of time. Verizon’s policy says 60 days it will Auto Unlock but as a Verizon customer my iPhones have never been locked to Verizon (maybe it does for someone setting up a new account though). T-Mobile may also lock for a certain amount of time.

Do Iphones already come unlocked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.