Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

File sharing with Mac Studio

Problem sharing files with Mac Studio:

Other computers on network not logging on the Mac Studio, while Mac Studio could log onto them for file sharing after migrating from Intel iMac Pro to new M2 Mac Studio Ultra.

When attempting to connect from an Intel MacBook Pro to an M2 Mac Studio Ultra, this error message displayed when clicking on Network\Mac Studio\Connect: There was a problem connecting to the server "Mac Studio server name" The server may not exist or is unavailable...

I found this suggestion on OS10Daily,

The article suggests toggling off file sharing, restarting and then turning it back on. This was done and the next logon attempt (by clicking Connect As…) showed the password entry window. I entered the password and got this message, "Access to your account on the server "Mac Studio server name" has been denied.

The only variable not previously changed was the Login Items. I removed the only item from the Mac Studio Login Items, and toggled background items on and off leaving a couple off and restarted the Mac Studio. 

Then, from the MBPro, I clicked on Network\ Mac Studio\Connect and was logged on to the Mac Studio and was connected.

I disconnected and repeated this and again was connected

The Mac Studio now appeared in Locations in the MacBook Pro's sidebar, as well.

Interestingly, even when Mac Studio would not permit a logon, toggling File Sharing on and off, Mac Studio appeared and disappeared from the Network locations list, keyboard and mouse sharing between the Mac Studio and MBPro worked, and dragging files between the two worked, suggesting a permission issue as opposed to a firmware issue.

The problem could be partly a firmware problem, given I did reinstall Sonoma (which could have updated the firmware), but it had no effect until the settings were changed as above..

Summary:

·      Reinstall Sonoma (MacOS 14.0)

·      Turn off File Sharing, Reboot, turn on file sharing (toggles appearance of Mac Studio in MBPro’s network; logon window appears after clicking connect, but access is denied)

·      Remove items from Login Items and toggle background items on and off leaving some off and restart Mac Studio. Keep removing background permissions until l connection works.

It appears that migration from Intel Macs to Apple silicon Macs may not be trouble free and resolving the conflicts with file sharing can be challenging.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 6:32 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 22, 2023 2:36 PM in response to UF Photogator

Hmmm, does something have a Static IP???

Might try this...

This may look difficult to some but is pretty easy taken step by step...

In Ventura & up, exchange Sys Settings for Sys Prefs...

Convert the following System Preferences to System Settings...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

File sharing with Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.