Macbook overheating

My macbook is overheating for no reason.

Even when I don’t use any application, checked the activity monitor no process seem to be utilizing any resources, when I start it in safe mode I don’t see overheating issue but in normal mode it always overheat and fans are running at maximum speed.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 10:03 PM

ayaz92 Said:

"Macbook overheating: My macbook is overheating for no reason. Even when I don’t use any application, checked the activity monitor no process seem to be utilizing any resources, when I start it in safe mode I don’t see overheating issue but in normal mode it always overheat and fans are running at maximum speed."

-------

Report back if anything here foes the trick...

Troubleshooting an Overheating Mac:

A. High Memory and CPU Consumption:

Go here:  View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac: See what is using lots of memory and processor usage. Close whatever it is.

B. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for power) become manipulated, in the technically. So, reset both on your Mac.

C. In a Web Browser, Clear Your Temporary Internet Files:

Go here for Safari: (History and Cache)

D. View Login Items:

Go To: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Click your Username > Login ItemsRid of Items that are Not Needed

E. Close Non-Responding Programs:

Go To: Finder Menu > Force Quit... > Select an Item that is listed as "Not Responding"

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 10:03 PM in response to ayaz92

ayaz92 Said:

"Macbook overheating: My macbook is overheating for no reason. Even when I don’t use any application, checked the activity monitor no process seem to be utilizing any resources, when I start it in safe mode I don’t see overheating issue but in normal mode it always overheat and fans are running at maximum speed."

-------

Report back if anything here foes the trick...

Troubleshooting an Overheating Mac:

A. High Memory and CPU Consumption:

Go here:  View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac: See what is using lots of memory and processor usage. Close whatever it is.

B. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for power) become manipulated, in the technically. So, reset both on your Mac.

C. In a Web Browser, Clear Your Temporary Internet Files:

Go here for Safari: (History and Cache)

D. View Login Items:

Go To: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Click your Username > Login ItemsRid of Items that are Not Needed

E. Close Non-Responding Programs:

Go To: Finder Menu > Force Quit... > Select an Item that is listed as "Not Responding"

Oct 21, 2023 8:08 PM in response to ayaz92

Most times it will be caused by anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software since those types of apps interfere with the normal operation of macOS. If you have any of these types of apps installed, then uninstall them by following the developer's instructions.

If you still have issues, then run the third party app EtreCheck and post the report here so we can examine it for clues.

Macbook overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.