iMovie photo clip duration won't increase

Making my eighth movie with iMovie 10.3.10. Haven't had this problem before. The photos I'm adding to the timeline won't increase in duration. Some are limited to less than 1.0 sec. and can't be increased by moving the yellow border around them. If I delete and then import the same photo a second time, it will first appear as if the duration is longer but will quickly drop to an undesirably slow duration. Transitions, even though I import them at 1.0 sec, will also shorten their duration by themselves. I can manipulate video clips without a problem. Thanks for your help.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 6:25 PM

3 replies

Oct 22, 2023 8:20 AM in response to maebee1

Hi,

Try deleting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete preference open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your image duration can be changed. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Oct 23, 2023 12:36 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you, Rich, for the suggestion. I tried it but the problem remained. In the mean time, I determined that if I deleted the transitions before and after the photo clip, I could manipulate it's duration. I've been utilizing that approach, it takes more time but at least I'm getting the results I want. Thanks again. Ed

iMovie photo clip duration won't increase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.