Unable to update iMac 2017 from mac os Catalina. Help!

My mac has barely been used for three years but was recently powered on. I’m having a slew of issues including being unable to upgrade from os Catalina to any os that succeeded it (prefer Ventura given it is the latest available that my 2017 is compatible with). I have a 1 TB hard drive with less than 100 GB used so space isn’t the issue. I simply cannot download Ventura from the App store as there is a download box that simply sits unchanged and even a finding updates notice if attempting to determine what updates are available. I saw that it is possible to create my own bootable usb/flash drive although does Apple have the files themselves available for download directly (so that I can place them in my app files and use the terminal/command prompt) for those who aren’t system admins? If so, please provide an Apple link.

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 2:43 AM

Your question appeared to be, where can I get the Ventura installer. I told you the two ways to download it.

There are no other ways to get it from Apple. There isn’t any “secret handshake” download site.

When I posted the software update commands, I started a download using them. It has since completed the download and I have Install macOS Ventura app in my Applications folder so it is not a server issue. Perhaps it is a timeout issue as it seemed rather slow.

I can't imagine what is preventing you from downloading the Ventura installer. You can try the softwareupdate route in Terminal by copying and pasting the command I posted, or you can try booting into Safe Mode and try downloading from that website I posted. The website will open Software Update system settings and download the installer there. It will run once it has completed the download.

The Terminal command may indicate what the problem is if it encounters one.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2023 2:43 AM in response to brandiatl

Your question appeared to be, where can I get the Ventura installer. I told you the two ways to download it.

There are no other ways to get it from Apple. There isn’t any “secret handshake” download site.

When I posted the software update commands, I started a download using them. It has since completed the download and I have Install macOS Ventura app in my Applications folder so it is not a server issue. Perhaps it is a timeout issue as it seemed rather slow.

I can't imagine what is preventing you from downloading the Ventura installer. You can try the softwareupdate route in Terminal by copying and pasting the command I posted, or you can try booting into Safe Mode and try downloading from that website I posted. The website will open Software Update system settings and download the installer there. It will run once it has completed the download.

The Terminal command may indicate what the problem is if it encounters one.

Oct 22, 2023 10:49 AM in response to brandiatl

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Or, in Terminal:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.6

Other versions available, 13.5.2, 13.5.1, 13.5, 13.4.1

I am attempting to download 13.6 via softwareupdate and it is very slow. The problems people are having may be that it times out or goes to sleep while downloading the installer. Set you Mac to not go to sleep while downloading.

Oct 22, 2023 10:37 AM in response to brandiatl

Are you having any other problems? I had no problem upgrading to Ventura with my 2017 iMac.

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Download and run Etrecheck. Be sure to give it Full Disk access before running.

Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Oct 22, 2023 12:26 PM in response to Barney-15E

I actually saw the instructions at the link provided. Perhaps I misunderstood something but it seemed that I would need access to another mac to obtain the correct installer before running terminal commands. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to another mac that has a compatible os - my other mac is from 2011. This is why I asked if anyone can point me to Ventura’s files on an Apple site. I’ve reviewed again after seeing your post but it seems to reflect my original interpretation. I’m not well-versed at all in tinkering with Apple products.

Oct 22, 2023 12:32 PM in response to Old Toad

Yes, I have a few other problems: 1) my mac will not power off using the shut down button - must resort to a hard reset to power off every time; 2) same when attempting to restart; 3) unable to backup iphones - downloader appears to be 100% but nothing is actually downloaded; 4) Finding updates never progresses.

No, I haven’t. Seems I may need to dive in more than expected.

Oct 22, 2023 1:02 PM in response to Barney-15E

To clarify: I understand that the terminal commands are to be run from the mac (mac that needs Ventura installed) with the downloading issue. I don’t have access to another compatible mac for use to download an actual installer from. I figured apple must have installation files posted somewhere for download for sys admins or private owners to retrieve but maybe not.

Oct 22, 2023 8:14 PM in response to Barney-15E

Respectfully, I appreciate your input although it seems that I am spending more time clarifying my words to you than necessary given I understood everything that you stated prior to posting. I’m not sure what the issue is here but attempted to clarify based on your previous response. I sincerely mean no direspect but please let’s stick to a solution. I don’t want to do this sort of back and forth.

Unable to update iMac 2017 from mac os Catalina. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.