Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Has anyone else experienced the inability to open CS5 Photoshop and CS5 Illustrator once they've updated their Mac os to 12.7? Please advise!

I just updated my Mac os to 12.7 and now neither CS5 pshop nor CS5 illustrator will open. I've been all over the Adobe site and cannot find any answers. Please advise! Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 11:11 AM

Dang. It's a little hard to swallow that my software is "ancient". I'm not computer savy and your "solution" is beyond my abilities. As I try to solve this problem, I was looking at other free (I'm self employed) photo editing software such as Photodirect essential. Any suggestions of any other free pshop like apps I can download? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2023 11:11 AM in response to VikingOSX

Dang. It's a little hard to swallow that my software is "ancient". I'm not computer savy and your "solution" is beyond my abilities. As I try to solve this problem, I was looking at other free (I'm self employed) photo editing software such as Photodirect essential. Any suggestions of any other free pshop like apps I can download? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Oct 22, 2023 11:03 AM in response to LarryBeNeedy

Those ancient Adobe applications are 32-bit dependent and unsupported on macOS Catalina or later. They might work if you ran them in a free VirtualBox guest of macOS High Sierra, but there is no means to use them natively per the first sentence. These are Adobe abandonware applications and if you want a current Adobe solution it will be an Adobe subscription plan, or decide that the much lower cost, non-subscription Affinity applications can replace your CS5 applications.

Oct 22, 2023 11:30 AM in response to LarryBeNeedy

Visit that Affinity site link. There is Affinity Designer and Photo. Each open Adobe Photoshop and Ilustrator files. These are free fully functional demos but ultimately are paid applications ($70 USD) each. Visit the Adobe site and see if something there appeals to you and your budget.

I don't use Adobe applications other than Acrobat Reader DC.

You couldn't really expect Creative Suite 5 applications released 13 years ago (2010) to just keep working on newer releases of macOS? Everything has a shelf life regardless of its original cost.

Has anyone else experienced the inability to open CS5 Photoshop and CS5 Illustrator once they've updated their Mac os to 12.7? Please advise!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.