Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Having trouble sorting and transfering photos

Hi. hope everyone is well.

I apologise in advance if something like this has been addressed before, i searched however i could not find the solution to my problem.

I have been having a difficult time sorting out and transferring photos from phone to my PC.

I do not wish to use google photos and Icloud to transfer them as for me it is not a convinient option to do so aswell as i have too many files & photos to store them in. I am a casual user so purchasing a subcription based storage system does not appeal to me and my data plan. I usually use windows import function or the old method of dragging the DCIM folder onto my pc. I have a windows pc.

To explain the situation a bit better, on my previous Samsung device i could create folders in the gallary app and transfer photos which I had taken and sort them out into their appropriate folder (vacation pics in their folder and work images in a work folder), when transfering unto the PC, the folders were already organised in the DCIM folder with the names and photos I had put them in, example all the pictures taken of cars in one folder etc, all I had to do was transfer and done. All the images were already sorted out.

However on the iphone, when i create a folder or album in the photos app, and plug the device in the PC, all the photos are randomly placed in the DCIM folder, which means I have to sort the photos out twice, once when on the phone for easier viewing and then when i make a backup on the pc.

The second problem I am having which has made it alot more difficult is that Iphone seems to be making duplicated photos, example IMG_001 & IMG_E001, i noticed one is cropped while one is not, is it okay for me to delete the image with the E?

What can i do to stop the duplication and is it possible to sort images out in folder on ios similer to how it can be done on android, or can it not be done due to the lack of file manager on ios? Once again please do not suggest using icloud or any cloud based system as it is more problamatic for me, i have tried it already.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 12:38 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your clear explanation,

Did you try the steps from this article ?

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC – Apple Support (UK)

Import to your Windows PC

You can import photos to your PC by connecting your device to your computer and using the Windows Photos app:

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes on your PC. Importing photos to your PC requires iTunes 12.5.1 or later.
  2. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your PC with a USB cable.
  3. If asked, unlock your iOS or iPadOS device using your passcode.
  4. If you see a prompt on your iOS or iPadOS device asking you to Trust This Computer, tap Trust or Allow to continue.

Then visit Microsoft’s website to find out how to import photos to the Windows Photos app in Windows 10 or Windows 11.

When you import videos from your iOS or iPadOS device to your PC, some of them may appear the wrong way up in the Windows Photos app. You can add these videos to iTunes to play them in the correct orientation.

If you want to ensure photos from your iOS or iPadOS device have the best compatibility with Windows 10 or Windows 11, try following these steps:

1. On your iOS or iPadOS device, open the Settings app.
  2. Tap Camera, then tap Formats.
  3. Tap Most Compatible. From now on, your camera will create photos and videos in JPEG and H.264 formats.

Kind regards,

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2023 12:38 PM in response to Slayer21_

Hello,

Thank you for your clear explanation,

Did you try the steps from this article ?

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC – Apple Support (UK)

Import to your Windows PC

You can import photos to your PC by connecting your device to your computer and using the Windows Photos app:

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes on your PC. Importing photos to your PC requires iTunes 12.5.1 or later.
  2. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your PC with a USB cable.
  3. If asked, unlock your iOS or iPadOS device using your passcode.
  4. If you see a prompt on your iOS or iPadOS device asking you to Trust This Computer, tap Trust or Allow to continue.

Then visit Microsoft’s website to find out how to import photos to the Windows Photos app in Windows 10 or Windows 11.

When you import videos from your iOS or iPadOS device to your PC, some of them may appear the wrong way up in the Windows Photos app. You can add these videos to iTunes to play them in the correct orientation.

If you want to ensure photos from your iOS or iPadOS device have the best compatibility with Windows 10 or Windows 11, try following these steps:

1. On your iOS or iPadOS device, open the Settings app.
  2. Tap Camera, then tap Formats.
  3. Tap Most Compatible. From now on, your camera will create photos and videos in JPEG and H.264 formats.

Kind regards,

Oct 28, 2023 2:22 AM in response to Vayzed

Hi,

If you read my question carefully I have already mentioned that I have used the windows Import feature my issue is that I need my albums to fully import to the PC so I don't need to sort them out two times once on the phone and once on the PC. In a summary when I sort out albums on the phone itself, I just need them to import over to the PC without having to re add all of the photos here to separate folders.

Having trouble sorting and transfering photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.