Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mouse/trackpad glitch

My mouse glitches at random times while i'm using my macbook air. I'm not sure if it's the mouse of trackpad or both, but suddenly when i swipe to change screens it would not do it, or when i hover over an button for example and try to click on it, it would not click/show drop down options.

Seems like a bug after updating my macOS but not sure what can help

Macbook Air, M2 2022, 8GB

macOS: Sonoma 14.0

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 7:47 PM

merhan93 Said:

"Mouse/trackpad glitch: My mouse glitches at random times while i'm using my macbook air. I'm not sure if it's the mouse of trackpad or both, but suddenly when i swipe to change screens it would not do it, or when i hover over an button for example and try to click on it, it would not click/show drop down options[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting the Trackpad:

Report back if anything here does the trick...

A. Visit these Site:

B. Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

C. Single-Out this User:

What happens when you create a new Administrator user? do you still get this error? If not, then it it like an issue with the configurations of the current user. If so, then it is an issue of the macOS, in which case, you'd need to reinstall it.

D. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r].  Important: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

E. Restore from a Backup:

Any recent Backups?: If you backed up your Mac prior to updating it then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2023 7:47 PM in response to merhan93

merhan93 Said:

"Mouse/trackpad glitch: My mouse glitches at random times while i'm using my macbook air. I'm not sure if it's the mouse of trackpad or both, but suddenly when i swipe to change screens it would not do it, or when i hover over an button for example and try to click on it, it would not click/show drop down options[...]"

-------

Report back if anything here does the trick...

A. Visit these Site:

B. Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

C. Single-Out this User:

What happens when you create a new Administrator user? do you still get this error? If not, then it it like an issue with the configurations of the current user. If so, then it is an issue of the macOS, in which case, you'd need to reinstall it.

D. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r].  Important: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

E. Restore from a Backup:

Any recent Backups?: If you backed up your Mac prior to updating it then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

Oct 22, 2023 7:48 PM in response to merhan93

merhan93 Said:

"Mouse/trackpad glitch: [...]Seems like a bug after updating my macOS but not sure what can help Macbook Air, M2 2022, 8GB macOS: Sonoma 14.0"

-------

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Software/Firmware Update" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: that is all occurred after installing an update, and how you have troubleshot this this far. Include the URL of this thread.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary

Mouse/trackpad glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.