Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Portrait mode crashes on iOS 17

On IOS 17 my iPhone’s portrait mode is constantly crashing first it freezes up then it crashes and the back of my phone really gets hot I’m using 13 base model btw fix this issue please!!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 9:02 PM

this happens to me 30% of the time. The camera app captures the photo then goes black and locked. Then I unlock the phone and the photo is not captured in Photos app. I lost so many good moments for this camera bug since 2-3 months.

(iPhone 13)

61 replies

Dec 4, 2023 1:58 PM in response to limbola176

I have had the same issue on the iPhone 15 Pro Max running 17.1.2. I have done factory and soft resets; I even got a new replacement device, but the issue persists. This is 100% an Apple OS defect that has not been resolved. I have not found a resolution from Apple at this time.

Device: iPhone 15 Pro Max

Issue: Camera app freezes/crashes upon using "Portrait Mode" photography

I look forward to any support we can get.

Thanks,

Brady

Dec 5, 2023 6:26 AM in response to jerkface41606

UPDATE:

After many trial/error troubleshooting, I found a resolution (without Apple support, lol). The following actions resulted in the resolution of this issue.

1. Open Settings
  2. Select General
  3. Select Transfer or Reset iPhone
  4. Select Reset
  5. Select Reset All Settings

This will restart your iPhone, and you will lose your general settings/preferences, but all apps and data will remain.

Thanks,

Brady

Jan 15, 2024 10:19 AM in response to limbola176

When I started having this issue, I reset the settings as suggested on this thread. It definitely sped up my phone but the freezing, crashing, and heating up continued. The only durable solution I have found is to restart my phone every night (when trying to restart in the morning, I would sometimes have issues of the phone getting laggy and hot over night which is a bigger problem).

Portrait mode crashes on iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.