Why does my iPod classic no longer sync with itunes

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 9:21 AM

Your Classic should still sync with iTunes, so if it doesn't then perhaps there is something that can be done to fix it. See both the following articles:

Apple no longer sell any form of iPod, so your alternatives are:

• see whether there is something that can be done to fix your Classic
  • buy an iPad, iPad mini or iPhone
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2023 9:21 AM in response to Heartof51midlothian-

Your Classic should still sync with iTunes, so if it doesn't then perhaps there is something that can be done to fix it. See both the following articles:

Apple no longer sell any form of iPod, so your alternatives are:

• see whether there is something that can be done to fix your Classic
  • buy an iPad, iPad mini or iPhone

Nov 8, 2023 3:38 AM in response to Heartof51midlothian-

Heartof51midlothian- wrote:
    1. my ipod classic no longer syncs with itunes
    2. is this ipod classic no longer upto date with itunes
    3. if so what devices can i purchase that will sync with itunes to download my music,
    4. i have been a customer for many years and i am annoyed that i can no longer download any new music onto my ipod,
    5. please reinstate the ipod classic pemission or reimburse me for the new music i have purchased which i cannot download

1. Have you tried any of the links to articles, provided by myself and turingtest2?
  2. As previously stated, although the iPod Classic is no longer available to buy, it should still connect to - and sync with iTunes. If you cannot see it in iTunes when you connect it to your computer, try the links provided in my previous post and the link provided by turingtest2. You can also move this discussion forward by discussing with us what steps you have taken to resolve the problems that you have identified
  3. As previously mentioned, buy an iPhone, an iPad or iPad mini
  4. Then at least try the suggestions that have already been put forward to you, rather than repeating what you have already stated
  5. You're not talking to Apple here, we are fellow users, just like you. Note though, that until now, you have repeatedly told us that the issue is with copying your purchases to your iPod. The implication therefore, is that you have downloaded the purchases to your computer (and that they are in your iTunes Library). However, I notice that in your first post you included a screenshot showing a line (with action arrow) saying iTunes downloads and in your most recent post, you state that you cannot download your purchases (do you mean from the iTunes Store?) That is completely separate to copying those downloads onto an iPod, so perhaps you need to confirm exactly where the issue lies. Is it:
    • downloading purchases from the iTunes Store to your iTunes Library, or
    • copying (by either Sync or Manually Manage) songs in your Library to your iPod?

It is an unfortunate reality of life that eventually, an iPod (especially the iPod Classic, which has a hard drive in it) will fail or simply become unusable. Many people (myself included) are unhappy that Apple has not introduced a suitable replacement for the straight-forward iPod, but there's nothing we can do about that. But your purchases are still usable. If you want a portable device to play the music on, then as suggested, you could buy an iPad or iPod mini (or an iPhone). I'll also add (now), that you can copy your purchases to an Android phone, or to most modern MP3 players, which will play Apple's m4a files.

When you reply, please confirm whether the iPod itself is still working.

Nov 8, 2023 3:00 AM in response to Heartof51midlothian-

my ipod classic no longer syncs with itunes is this ipod classic no longer upto date with itunes if so what devices can i purchase that will sync with itunes to download my music, i have been a customer for many years and i am annoyed that i can no longer download any new music onto my ipod, please reinstate the ipod classic pemission or reimburse me for the new music i have purchased which i cannot download

david rhind

Nov 8, 2023 3:25 AM in response to Heartof51midlothian-

Hi, this is a user to user support forum. You're not talking to Apple directly. The latest versions of iTunes and Apple Music still support syncing to iPod classic. If things aren't working for you then you'll need to try to figure out why. Rattling your toys doesn't help. What actually happens when you attempt to add new content to your iPod? What error messages are there? Are you syncing with selected playlists or manually managing the device? If syncing have you adjusted your sync selections to include the new content? Is this content downloaded to your computer? Cloud content cannot be synced to a device. Have you looked at my previous post and checked the health of your iPod's hard drive?

tt2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.