Always Have to Log In

I am on the original 27" iMac 5K running on the latest Big Sur that this machine is capable of operating.

Every time the iMac wakes, I have to log in. This is a pain to say the least.

I know that to solve this, one has to go to Users and Groups.

In this window I am selected as the current user.

When I click on Log In options, the window is greyed out so that I can't make any selections.

In that greyed out window, I can see that Automatic Login is Off.

So one would think that I wouldn't have to log in each time but I do.

Any solution to this problem?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 12:17 PM

Don't forget to unlock the Users & Groups panel to change these settings - (click the lock at lower left).

Also, check your System Settings > Security & Privacy.

Is "Require password... after sleep or screen saver begins" check marked?

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 24, 2023 6:44 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks so much D.I. for your insight on my issue with the password.

You were right - clicking the lock made the window accessible and in that state it was still a case of "Automatic Login is Off". So I'm very glad that you provided that second piece of insight with the Security and Privacy window since, sure enough, there was a checkmark beside "Require Password 5 minutes after sleep or screen saver begins". Unchecking this line and - Presto! - gone was the annoying password entry when the iMac woke. It's so nice to tap into people such as yourself who know a whole lot more than I do about the inner workings of the iMac. I'm a happy camper now thanks to you.

Oct 25, 2023 3:54 AM in response to ttibsen

ttibsen wrote:

In that greyed out window, I can see that Automatic Login is Off.
So one would think that I wouldn't have to log in each time but I do.

If Automatic Login is Off, that means that you do have to log in each time.

If you don't want to log in each time, you need to turn Automatic Login on. To gain access to change the control, you may need to authenticate (log in using your Admin account and password) in the dialog, to prove that you are someone who has the right to change that setting.

Always Have to Log In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.