How do you encrypt a time machine backup drive?

I used disk utility to erase my drive (it has been improperly ejected and didn't work anymore). After that I used Disk Utility to encrypt the drive. After that I opened Time Machine to create a backup of my laptop (which took a good 8 hours to complete). Then I noticed my drive doesn't require me to enter a password. I just plug it in and Time Machine begins backing up my Machine.

So, my question is: How to I encrypted my external USB hard drive that is used for Time Machine?

Not sure if it matters or not - but I'm using my 2015 MacBook Pro. My operating system is Monterey.

The hard drive is formatted in whatever style/version/technique that allows for encryption. The acronym starts with an A I think. Anyway, you CAN encrypt the drive.

How I encrypted was on the left side of Finder I found the dive, right-clicked, and they selected "encrypt." After that a typical menu showed asking to create a password and hint.

But, like I said - I encrypted BEFORE assigning to Time Machine. I do remember using my password just once. But, now, it seems there's no password on this drive.

So, how do you encrypt a Time Machine backup?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 4:29 AM

silver_mica wrote:

I encrypted BEFORE assigning to Time Machine. I do remember using my password just once. But, now, it seems there's no password on this drive.

In the previous version of Time Machine, a few years ago, one could pre-encrypt the drive. Then, when you connected the hard drive to Time Machine, you could click the "encrypt" box. This would setup Time Machine immediately. Otherwise, it would take forever to encrypt the drive.

However, in the current, APFS, version of Time Machine, that is no longer possible. You must connect an empty hard drive and enable Time Machine. Then, immediately click the "encrypt" box. But this is now improved. It will not take long to encrypt the drive using APFS.

So, to answer your question, just click the "encrypt" box in Time Machine.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 4:29 AM in response to silver_mica

silver_mica wrote:

I encrypted BEFORE assigning to Time Machine. I do remember using my password just once. But, now, it seems there's no password on this drive.

In the previous version of Time Machine, a few years ago, one could pre-encrypt the drive. Then, when you connected the hard drive to Time Machine, you could click the "encrypt" box. This would setup Time Machine immediately. Otherwise, it would take forever to encrypt the drive.

However, in the current, APFS, version of Time Machine, that is no longer possible. You must connect an empty hard drive and enable Time Machine. Then, immediately click the "encrypt" box. But this is now improved. It will not take long to encrypt the drive using APFS.

So, to answer your question, just click the "encrypt" box in Time Machine.

Oct 25, 2023 2:59 AM in response to silver_mica

The encryption is done from Within Time Machine Backup Utility

Link below

Keep your Time Machine backup disk for Mac secure - Apple Support (CA)

Excerpt from above Monterey Support Document

" The best way to keep your backups secure is to encrypt your backup disk. When you switch a Time Capsule or network backup disk from unencrypted to encrypted, your existing backups are erased and new encrypted backup sets are created.

When you switch locally connected disks (such as an external disk) to encrypted backups, your data is preserved and encrypted."

How do you encrypt a time machine backup drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.