Time Machine will no longer connect to backup disk

I have been using a Time Capsule as the destination for Time Machine backups successfully for many years. Starting about two months ago, Time Machine would no longer connect to the hard drive in the Time Capsule. Nothing has changed in my setup. The Time Capsule looks completely normal in AirPort Utility. I can ping the TC and TM can see old backups. I get the attached error when TM tries but fails to even start a backup. any hints as to what's going on?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 6:45 PM

what's going on?

Let's find out. We assume that you have already performed the basics like powering off the Time Capsule, restarting your Mac and then powering the Time Capsule back up again.....correct?

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen. Select Verify Backups and run the check. The process might take anywhere from a few minutes to 30 minutes or more depending on how much data is contained in the backup files.

You will be notified when the Verify Backups check is complete. If you see any error messages, post back with the exact text of the message.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2023 6:45 PM in response to Brian Shaw3

what's going on?

Let's find out. We assume that you have already performed the basics like powering off the Time Capsule, restarting your Mac and then powering the Time Capsule back up again.....correct?

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen. Select Verify Backups and run the check. The process might take anywhere from a few minutes to 30 minutes or more depending on how much data is contained in the backup files.

You will be notified when the Verify Backups check is complete. If you see any error messages, post back with the exact text of the message.

Oct 24, 2023 8:46 PM in response to Brian Shaw3

The "problem" is that the backups are corrupted and are no longer useable.

You will need to erase the Time Capsule disk and then start over again with a new complete backup and move forward again.

Post back if you need instructions on how to do this.

However.....if the Time Capsule is 7+ years old, I would not trust the device as your sole backup plan, since the Time Capsule hard drive is suspect at this point.

Oct 25, 2023 3:33 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I was afraid you'd say that. I poured a fine pint of beer on a brand new MacBook Pro about a year ago. Totally destroyed the machine. Since I didn't buy AppleCare (stupid!), it cost me an arm and a leg to replace the entire motherboard. TimeCapsule restored everything perfectly (whew!), so I've become very dependent on it .

Your point about the age of the drive is well taken. What would you recommend as the best new/alternate hands-off backup strategy?

Oct 25, 2023 7:03 AM in response to Bob Timmons

The latter Bob. The TC is for backup only these days (I have a pair of Linksys mesh routers now).

Since the TC has a USB port, can simply plug an external hard drive or SSD into that port and use it for Time Machine?

BTW, I erased the TC drive and Time Machine is now backing up successfully. It should take a mere 8 hours to do the first backup!

Oct 25, 2023 8:26 AM in response to Brian Shaw3

Good news that the TC is backing up again.

Since the TC has a USB port, can simply plug an external hard drive or SSD into that port and use it for Time Machine?

Yes, if the hard drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). But, the Time Capsule uses an ancient USB 2.0 port, so backups are going to run at about half the speed of normal backups to the Time Capsule disk. The port also may or may not have sufficient power to run a USB hard drive that does not have its own power supply.

If the Time Capsule is 6-7+ years old, the power supply is also suspect at this time, which might be a consideration.

The simplest, fastest, cheapest and most reliable way to back up would be to connect a USB drive directly to the Mac.

If you want to back up over a network, then you would want to look at a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. Synology would be an excellent...but expensive....choice. More info here:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/nas_selector

Oct 25, 2023 8:31 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for everything Bob. Since my TM backups have always been via WiFi, I doubt if USB 2.0 will further limit throughput, but I'll give it a try and see. Regarding a directly-connected drive: I have always set TM to back up hourly, so havng to always have a drive hanging off the Macbook is not something I'd like to have to manage, especially since cables plugged into the USB 3.0 ports on my M1 MacBook Pro frequenty disconnect with the slightest movement of the computer.

I just plugged a 3 Tb hard drive that I used to use for manual backups into the TC. I'll report back how that works out. If it is way too slow, then I'll get a NAS unit.

Oct 25, 2023 9:11 AM in response to Brian Shaw3

The good news about backups is that most users don't even notice how long backups take to occur, unless there are problems with the backups.

Newer Mac operating systems.....(I can't remember which one introduced the new options)......allow you set up Time Machine to back up once a day rather than every hour, if that might help things.

Time Machine will no longer connect to backup disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.