Mousepad and mouse not clicking

I updated to Ventura on Macbook Air 13in 2020 around mid September I think. however recently something like the past week, I have had this issue where occasionally, I would not be able to click on things in certain areas of my screen. I've only tried this on my desktop, where some parts I can click on files and stuff, but like this random portion of my screen I just cannot click on whatsoever. wireless mouse doesn't solve the issue either. also experiencing on google chrome, where sometimes I cant click on links and bits, but if I exit fullscreen (pressing green icon) it solves the issue somehow.

edit: it happens occasionally, not really a constant problem. idk if this helps I just chuck it here

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 1:11 AM

Try and restart the Mac to see if the issue persist.

If it persists, boot in the safe mode to see if the issues persist. If they do not persist in the safe mode, they're caused by an external piece of software

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 1:11 AM in response to goldfish038

Try and restart the Mac to see if the issue persist.

If it persists, boot in the safe mode to see if the issues persist. If they do not persist in the safe mode, they're caused by an external piece of software

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Mousepad and mouse not clicking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.