Cloning external drive with Time Machine backups (very basic question)

I'd like to clone an external drive used to backup multiple Macs (running Monterey if that makes a difference).

I have an empty external drive, newly formatted with an APFS filesystem. I've turned off automatic Time Machine backups on the source disk.

Do I drag and drop the individual Time Machine disk icons onto the new disk?

I'm already trying this. Looks like the disk image is copying, so the clone doesn't look like a Time Machine drive. Hmm.

Or is there a better way?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 4:04 PM

You really cannot move TM files to a new drive and then have it working again (or even clone a TM drive). You should always start a new TM backup on a new drive and keep the old one just in case it is needed.

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 26, 2023 10:12 AM in response to Venona

What I do may or may not interest you. I have two external SSD backup disks. One is regularly backed up by my backup app Carbon Copy Cloner. The second disk is used for manually backing up - by me. It contains a copy of everything in my HD's desktop folder where all my files are located. Whenever I add a new file or change one, I immediately copy it to the second backup disk. That way I have double backup protection and everything is backed up to the minute.

Cloning external drive with Time Machine backups (very basic question)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.