i want to move all photos on my ipad to my external harddrive

my ipad no longer works and I want the photos on it, how do I transfer those to my pc harddrive

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 9:07 AM

Unless you are able to restart your iPad to a running state - and successfully enter your Passcode - you'll not be able to recover any data from your iPad.

iPadOS uses an encrypted filesystem. Successful entry of your iPad Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave (this being your iPad's security chip) within which the only copy of the encryption keys - that are required to access and decrypt your data - are stored.

Unless you have a pre-existing backup of your locally stored data, anything stored on your inoperable iPad will remain beyond reach.

If you value your data, always keep a backup.

Be aware that if you have enabled iCloud Photos, your photos will remain accessible if you sign-in iCloud with your AppleID:

https://icloud.com

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 9:07 AM in response to Waites2

Unless you are able to restart your iPad to a running state - and successfully enter your Passcode - you'll not be able to recover any data from your iPad.

iPadOS uses an encrypted filesystem. Successful entry of your iPad Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave (this being your iPad's security chip) within which the only copy of the encryption keys - that are required to access and decrypt your data - are stored.

Unless you have a pre-existing backup of your locally stored data, anything stored on your inoperable iPad will remain beyond reach.

If you value your data, always keep a backup.

Be aware that if you have enabled iCloud Photos, your photos will remain accessible if you sign-in iCloud with your AppleID:

https://icloud.com

i want to move all photos on my ipad to my external harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.