MS Office on Older MBPro / Big Sur

Need to install a Version of MS Office on older MacBook Pro. OS Big Sur is installed, and nothing newer appears to be available. Tried to install Office 2021, but won't install on Big Sur. Q1. Can I install Office 2019 ? Q2. Where can I buy Office 2019 (Perpetual License)

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 9:51 AM

With Microsoft now supporting Sonoma, Ventura, and Monterey, it has dropped support for new installations of any Office suite into Big Sur and older operating systems. Office 2019 for Mac was also retired on 2023-10-10. Thus, Microsoft has disabled the license servers for retired suites and unsupported macOS operating systems.

Here are the Macs compatible with:

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

macOS Sonoma is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If in fact, you are stuck on Big Sur, then consider the free trial of Softmaker's Office 2024 for Mac as it is a faithfully supported MS Office clone that handles Microsoft documents in their native format. These are Universal binaries as I have it installed on my M2 mini Pro with Sonoma 14.1 — as well as Office 2021 for Mac.

Alternatively, there is the free LibreOffice Suite, which offers either of an Intel or Apple Silicon build for download.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 9:51 AM in response to DBrady4453

With Microsoft now supporting Sonoma, Ventura, and Monterey, it has dropped support for new installations of any Office suite into Big Sur and older operating systems. Office 2019 for Mac was also retired on 2023-10-10. Thus, Microsoft has disabled the license servers for retired suites and unsupported macOS operating systems.

Here are the Macs compatible with:

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

macOS Sonoma is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If in fact, you are stuck on Big Sur, then consider the free trial of Softmaker's Office 2024 for Mac as it is a faithfully supported MS Office clone that handles Microsoft documents in their native format. These are Universal binaries as I have it installed on my M2 mini Pro with Sonoma 14.1 — as well as Office 2021 for Mac.

Alternatively, there is the free LibreOffice Suite, which offers either of an Intel or Apple Silicon build for download.

MS Office on Older MBPro / Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.