How do I turn off Google Sign-In Prompts When Using Safari?

I get this this "Sign in with Google" pop-up on my laptop, desktop, iPad, and iPhone when I land on sites on the web. Not every site, but enough to be very annoying. (I've attached screen shot.) One friend suggested emailing the webmaster of any site where Google popped up, which I tried with a few but did not get any responses. I solution was proposed in the Community here in a post from 3-21-23:

"To turn off sign in prompts in your Google account, go to your Google Account security page and sign in to your account. Once you're signed in, on the Security page under the "Signing in to Other Sites" section turn off the "Google Account sign-in prompts" option."

My Google account does not have the section on the Security page "Signing in to Other Sites". I searched with phrase and found nothing. I also did not see anything that led to "Google Account sign-in prompts". Did Google rename them, move them somewhere else or delete them altogether?

I have done what I can on Safari to block pop ups, but the Google pop ups pop up anyway.

Note: I added gmail to my Mac mail account years ago. These pop-ups seemed to start in the last 12 months?

Any new suggestions?

Thanks.

M2 desktop Sonoma

M1 Macbook Sonoma

iPhone 14 16.61

iPad Pro 16.61

iMac 24″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 11:48 AM

👍

FYI you're not the only one annoyed by it. There have been a flood of complaints recently. It's a difficult problem to comprehend because all you will be able to find out from Google or even a general Internet search is how to change your Google Account "sign in" preferences, and as you determined even that seems to be problematic.

But what about people who don't have a Google Account? They're even angrier about it because they don't have one, don't want one, will never get one, and expect somebody else to fix it for them once and for all — and as I wrote only the websites in question can do that.

Read that Google developer site. It's mind-bogglingly full of technobabble like "user conversion rates", "federated sign-in", "navigating journeys"... ad nauseam. This is by design.

By the way, Apple has a "Sign in with Apple" feature that any website can use if they so please: About Sign in with Apple - Apple Support.

Unlike Google no one seems to complain about it. I wonder why...

🧐

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 11:48 AM in response to michael1040

👍

FYI you're not the only one annoyed by it. There have been a flood of complaints recently. It's a difficult problem to comprehend because all you will be able to find out from Google or even a general Internet search is how to change your Google Account "sign in" preferences, and as you determined even that seems to be problematic.

But what about people who don't have a Google Account? They're even angrier about it because they don't have one, don't want one, will never get one, and expect somebody else to fix it for them once and for all — and as I wrote only the websites in question can do that.

Read that Google developer site. It's mind-bogglingly full of technobabble like "user conversion rates", "federated sign-in", "navigating journeys"... ad nauseam. This is by design.

By the way, Apple has a "Sign in with Apple" feature that any website can use if they so please: About Sign in with Apple - Apple Support.

Unlike Google no one seems to complain about it. I wonder why...

🧐

Oct 26, 2023 11:10 AM in response to michael1040

One friend suggested emailing the webmaster of any site where Google popped up, which I tried with a few but did not get any responses.

Nevertheless that is the correct action to take. Apple has no control over what a website's content. In fact Google doesn't even have any control over that. Only the website administrator or developer or "webmaster" can do that.

These pop-ups seemed to start in the last 12 months?

It's a recent Google "feature". Read https://developers.google.com/identity/gsi/web/guides/offerings Good luck with that.

My Google account does not have the section on the Security page "Signing in to Other Sites". I searched with phrase and found nothing. I also did not see anything that led to "Google Account sign-in prompts". Did Google rename them, move them somewhere else or delete them altogether?

What's worse it that if you do not have a Google Account, then even that won't help.

Contact the webmaster. You may not get any replies but other than boycotting the website that is all you can do.

How do I turn off Google Sign-In Prompts When Using Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.