Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

What does Homepod setup error -12001 mean?

Trying to setup a second Homepod in my house, setup fails with error -12001. None of Apple's documentation decodes this error. I'd like to know what the Homepod is trying to tell me.

And yes, I've read all of the articles about the basic steps for setting up a Homepod, my network is running, I'm on the right SSID, all the software is up to date with IOS 17.1, and I'm not a moron.

HomePod mini

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 2:42 PM

Apple Care is replacing two HomePod Minis that would not set up after resetting with iPhone 15 Pro Max on 17.1 - but I was unable to set up a new one running 15.3 out of the box with my iPhone. An iPad Mini running the update prior to 17.1 was able to setup. It updated to the latest HomePod software overnight.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2023 2:42 PM in response to BubbaDude661

Apple Care is replacing two HomePod Minis that would not set up after resetting with iPhone 15 Pro Max on 17.1 - but I was unable to set up a new one running 15.3 out of the box with my iPhone. An iPad Mini running the update prior to 17.1 was able to setup. It updated to the latest HomePod software overnight.

Oct 28, 2023 4:09 PM in response to BubbaDude661

I have the same issue setting up a HomePod mini. I get a "Setup failed (-12001) error. I've attempted to register the HomePod using both my iPhone and my iPad; the error is the same in each case. I've verified the Home and the Music apps are installed and authorized. The iPhone and iPad are logged into wifi; and I've removed and re-joined the wifi network several times. Interestingly, my router shows that the HomePod has pulled down an IP address from the router? I have other homePod units installed and they do not exhibit any issue. My iPhone is running 17.1. My iPad is running 17.1... hugely frustrating issue...

Oct 28, 2023 4:14 PM in response to BubbaDude661

interesting - I've tried using an iPhone 13 mini, an iPad 6th Generation and an iPad mini 6th Generation and get a setup failed (-12001) error in each case. I've verified the Home and the Music apps are installed and authorized. The iPhone and iPads are logged into wifi; and I've removed and re-joined the wifi network several times. Interestingly, my router shows that the HomePod has pulled down an IP address from the router? I have other homePod units installed and they do not exhibit any issue. My iPhone is running 17.1. My iPads are running 17.1... hugely frustrating issue... I'm about to return the HomePod to Apple.

What does Homepod setup error -12001 mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.