Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

No “text received” sounds iPhone 14 iOS 17

Why am I not hearing the notification sound for an incoming text message? I have gone into Settings> notifications >messages and selected allow notifications. I have checked the sound settings for the message notifications and everything seems to be where it is supposed to be. I have an apple iPhone 14 with iOS 17. This is a new problem since I downloaded, the update.

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 1:23 PM

Hello,

Hmm, don't know, but see this:

These are the standard steps for sound issues:

1) Is the side silent mute button on? Does any red show? Slide it back and fourth.

2) How about the volume buttons? Is the volume very low? Move the buttons. Adjust the volume on iPhone

3) Is Do Not Disturb on? Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb. Is it turned on? Check the times.

4) Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Check the Ringer and Alerts slider.  Try changing the sound pattern for the type of alert.

5) Go to Settings > Notifications. Is the app listed?

6) Do other sounds work? What about phone calls? Music? 

7) Do you have an Apple watch? Many of the notifications will go to the watch instead of the phone. Is the watch in silent mode?

8) Many notifications are partially muted when the phone is unlocked and you are using it vs. locked.

Note: you can send text messages to yourself for testing purposes.

Good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 1:23 PM in response to SamGlat

Hello,

Hmm, don't know, but see this:

These are the standard steps for sound issues:

1) Is the side silent mute button on? Does any red show? Slide it back and fourth.

2) How about the volume buttons? Is the volume very low? Move the buttons. Adjust the volume on iPhone

3) Is Do Not Disturb on? Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb. Is it turned on? Check the times.

4) Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Check the Ringer and Alerts slider.  Try changing the sound pattern for the type of alert.

5) Go to Settings > Notifications. Is the app listed?

6) Do other sounds work? What about phone calls? Music? 

7) Do you have an Apple watch? Many of the notifications will go to the watch instead of the phone. Is the watch in silent mode?

8) Many notifications are partially muted when the phone is unlocked and you are using it vs. locked.

Note: you can send text messages to yourself for testing purposes.

Good luck.

No “text received” sounds iPhone 14 iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.