Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

migrating from iPhone 15 pro to iPhone 13 mini does not work

I bought the iPhone 15 Pro and the migration from the iPhone 13 Mini worked perfectly. I am not happy with the big iPhone so I want so switch back to the 13 Mini. The iPhone 15 Pro has 17.0.3, during migration the 13 mini is been updated, first with 500 MB then also with 3,6 GB of Data (Apple Inc). It's loading all 'software update' and the spinner does not stop to spin 'Now installing'. The iPhone 15 Pro shows 'waiting for software update'. I tried 2 times. Then I updated the 15 Pro to 17.1, but still the same problem. It was showing the 'now installing' message the whole day and still not going on. So how can I do this migration? There was no change if I had the Sim in the 15 or the 13 during migration.

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 2:02 PM

You can go forwards, but not backwards.

You can update or restore from the backup of an older phone to a newer phone.....but you cannot use the backup of a newer phone to try to update or restore an older phone.

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 26, 2023 2:17 PM in response to waldemarker

Is the old iPhone iOS updated? Not sure if you’re saying it is attempting to update iOS first and that’s stalling (which may be because of the servers being congested) or if you’re saying the actual migration is stalling. If you can’t wait you may need to either do an iCloud backup or connect to your computer, do a backup that way and then restore that backup on the old iPhone.

Apr 21, 2024 11:24 AM in response to waldemarker

So if you’re talking about back up iCloud restores? What I normally do when I go back-and-forth between devices I set up the new phone skip all the set up, upgraded iOS upgrade to the latest Denny erase reset settings then go to the new phone I want to use or vice versa And then of course follow the set up process from there making sure both devices right out the gate are updated with the same iOS you can restore from cloud back up or symmetrically. Use the mirror image as long as both are on Wi-Fi 😊

migrating from iPhone 15 pro to iPhone 13 mini does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.