Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Open Winmail.dat files?

I am getting emails from friends that have attachments that I can’t open. Winmail.dat. The only way to open Winmail.dat files is to give away your personal details to use “free” viewers. Is there a better way? Why doesn’t Apple have a viewer? This seems to be a big issue as more than 500 have asked this question.

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 9:26 AM

P3mbrok3 wrote:

I am getting emails from friends that have attachments that I can’t open. Winmail.dat. The only way to open Winmail.dat files is to give away your personal details to use “free” viewers. Is there a better way? Why doesn’t Apple have a viewer? This seems to be a big issue as more than 500 have asked this question.

Because it isn't an apple issue to fix, even a Windows pc can't view it.

The person who sent the file to you has their settings wrong, they can do a google search on how to fix it.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2023 9:26 AM in response to P3mbrok3

P3mbrok3 wrote:

Because it isn't an apple issue to fix, even a Windows pc can't view it.

The person who sent the file to you has their settings wrong, they can do a google search on how to fix it.

Open Winmail.dat files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.