Recover WhatsApp backup if you forgot encrypted password

Hi,

I am using iphone12. I had WhatsApp back using encrypted password which I have forgot. I have reinstalled my WhatsApp but I am unable to restore it without password.

Can someone pls help to recover the WhatsApp chat backup and tell me how many attempts are possible to make.

It has some important chats which need to be restored.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2024 8:06 PM

Same issue happened to me now

any idea how can I resolve it

I don’t have an access to the old device and can’t remove the encryption

26 replies

Jan 27, 2024 7:37 PM in response to katszilla

This is an absolute nightmare!! I have some really personal messages and photos from family members and friends who are now deceased, and it would be heartbreaking to lose all these (as well as all the other chats and ongoing chats from the past 7 years!). I am really worried my backup will be deleted. I now have to wait another 3 hours until I try another password. I am currently at the 7 hour wait. How many more tries will I have? I have a 14GB WhatsApp backup and also have an iCloud backup from last night, but just can't access it!! Really need some help here. Some expert out there must know a workaround. Please help!!

Jun 12, 2024 2:14 AM in response to Belal2548

hi Belal2548, I'm in the same position - did this work? I'm at 12hours to change password and all my data will be deleted if I don't get it right!

Thanks for sharing this! Just to be clear - on the new phone, I skip restore and just register my number - If i register again on my old phone - will it not ask if i want to skip or restore again?

Any additional information will be very helpful

(I'm going to use an additional older iphone later today)

Thanks

Jan 27, 2024 7:48 PM in response to katszilla

Does anyone know of any tech experts? I have bought and tried a few different software tonight, who all claim to be able to recover the ENCRYPTED WhatsApp iCloud backup (even if one does not know the encryption password), but they are all liars! Really need some help here. I cannot find a way to speak with WhatsApp either (I am from the UK), to see if they could at least NOT delete my backup!! Does anyone have a contact number for WhatsApp even? Thanks everyone.

Feb 19, 2024 10:39 AM in response to poonam136

Hello everyone,

I'm facing the same problem since last Thursday and trying all the way out to get the encrypted password reset but nothing till now.

Tried with What's app GO but no response yet. I have vvv important data in chats which I can't let go so easily.

I have also received the same last try msg so holding up if anyone replies from What's app team.

We need to find a way otherwise everyone will keep getting into this stupid trap of end to end encryption.

Do share if any leads you get.

Thanks in advance!!

Apr 29, 2024 9:27 PM in response to poonam136

In this case it is only recoverable if you have your old phone with you.

Log in to your new phone. Skip restore backup and proceed with registering WhatsApp on new phone. Now you have access to WhatsApp on new phone. You should be signed out of Whatsapp on your old phone. Again register the number in WhatsApp of your old phone. You will get a passcode on your new phone. Now you can access the WhatsApp on old phone. Now old phone should have everything that you left before transferring. Go to settings and turn off encryption.

You will lose the messages in between doing this steps.

This worked for me. Hope this works for you.

Apr 29, 2024 9:28 PM in response to can't switch mac on

In this case it is only recoverable if you have your old phone with you.

Log in to your new phone. Skip restore backup and proceed with registering WhatsApp on new phone. Now you have access to WhatsApp on new phone. You should be signed out of Whatsapp on your old phone. Again register the number in WhatsApp of your old phone. You will get a passcode on your new phone. Now you can access the WhatsApp on old phone. Now old phone should have everything that you left before transferring. Go to settings and turn off encryption.

You will lose the messages in between doing this steps.

This worked for me. Hope this works for you.

Recover WhatsApp backup if you forgot encrypted password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.