Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

New bezel for iMac G3

Is there a way to replace the bezel on the iMac G3 M5521 without buying a whole new machine for parts.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 28, 2023 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Oct 29, 2023 7:39 PM in response to GunnDaniel

That appears to be the fruity flavor iMacs. All of these iMacs I have seen all had the internal plastic frame degrade & become brittle & cracked even 10 years ago. This is the brownish plastic (or was it white originally?) that can be seen inside/behind the translucent outer plastic casing. I cannot imagine the plastic on any parts you can access will be in any better shape. Before purchasing any parts, I would make sure unscrewing & re-screwing the screws from the bezel frame won't crack it. I would even press on this internal plastic to see if it fractures. Without the internal frame being solid, the outer bezel is irrelevant.

Also, these CRT based iMacs are very dangerous to work on because the flyback transformer and even CRT itself can hold a deadly voltage even when they have been disconnected from power for a long time. In fact the CRT can build up a deadly charge unless it is properly grounded. It is very important to properly discharge the flyback transformer & CRT & properly ground the CRT before working inside this iMac.

Oct 30, 2023 11:27 AM in response to GunnDaniel

What bezel are you referring to specifically? As mentioned, the plastic does become more brittle with age and because of the hidden, snap-latch assembly favored by Apple at the time, disassembly requires flexing the old plastics to separate the joints without cracking them. It's not easy, even when doing it with a gentle touch.

New bezel for iMac G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.