macOS Sonoma 14.1, Music v1.4.1.29 - how to Favorite an Artist?

I've searched and I've read Apple's own info here:

Mark items as favorites in Apple Music on Mac - Apple Support (MD)

I have a Mac Pro 2019 and a MacBook Pro 2021 M1, both running the latest Sonoma 14.1

I want to be able to Favorite an Artist but I never see the for Favorite when I look at an artist. I follow Apple's own info and there is no Star beside the artists NAME. They do appear beside each album. I even created a temporary account on my MBP, added one artist (Red Clay Ramblers) and still not STAR beside the name.

If I click the MORE "..." I do not see a command to Favorite the Artist.

Partial screen capture attached.

I do not subscribe to Apple Music but I thought this worked w/o such a subscription.

I do not show the Music or iTunes stores - but I did turn these on in Music -> Settings to no avail.

When I select Albums on the left sidebar I am able to Favorite full Albums.

What am I missing?

thanks

qb

Mac Pro (2019)

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 3:17 AM

Yep, I've checked and the Artist > Favourite options only appear when Sync Library is enabled, which seems to make this a subscription only feature. Going back to the support article this is likely relevant:

You can mark items as “favorites” in Music to make them easier to find. If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can get notifications on new releases from your favorite artists, and easily get back to their music from Listen Now.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2023 3:17 AM in response to qbpals

Yep, I've checked and the Artist > Favourite options only appear when Sync Library is enabled, which seems to make this a subscription only feature. Going back to the support article this is likely relevant:

You can mark items as “favorites” in Music to make them easier to find. If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can get notifications on new releases from your favorite artists, and easily get back to their music from Listen Now.

tt2

Nov 7, 2023 1:48 PM in response to qbpals

If you click the ellipsis/three dots menu at the top right on the same line as Red Clay Ramblers the word Favourite should be 8 rows down in the pop-up menu. You can also try right-clicking on the (album) artist name.

I suppose it is possible that this is an Apple Music (subscription) feature rather than an Apple Music (app) one. I'll look at it in another library later.

tt2

macOS Sonoma 14.1, Music v1.4.1.29 - how to Favorite an Artist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.