Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Backup is double the size of the actual backup

My 50gb iCloud is full on my iPhone. It says I have 35.2gb of backups but when I click on the backup it says it’s 17.4gb.

Where is this missing 17.8gb and how do I free up space?

I’ve already removed many apps from being backed up and it made no difference.

Posted on Oct 30, 2023 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 3:12 PM

Hi,

Exactly same issue for me, 160 GB announced in « Backups » but I only have one backup of 81 GB!

This problem since 30th of October, everything was ok for my last backup on 29th. Don’t know what happen? Issue on iCloud servers?…

11 replies

Dec 2, 2023 1:18 PM in response to ViciousMal

Yes i understand that there was a ghost backup. I have the same thing after I deleted my existing backup. It showed that there was a no backup but Account Storage showed backup taking up some space.

I did contact Apple Support and they've taken logs etc. but am yet to hear from them.

Based on your comments it seems that they have no freaking idea how to fix it, just try a bunch of things and hope something fixes it.

it's a shame that this is the level of support that we're getting nowadays.

Backup is double the size of the actual backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.