10.1 update killed my Apple Watch battery

I read many posts and complains about the same issue I have and I find it very sad and annoying that with such an expensive and premium watch I have to face such issues without any help.

2 days ago I updated my series 7 watch's software to 10.1 and within an hour the battery is completely off and the watch is warm! I tried all suggested methods: unpair and reset, but didn't help. I also I tried to charge it in airplane mode and in battery saving mode, still didn't help, it doesn't even charge it to 100% anymore. My watch is completely useless :( When will Apple fix this? Should I wait for a new update to fix this or send it to repair? Due to health reasons my watch is essential for me.

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 12:23 PM

I got an Apple Watch series 9 in September 2023. I use it mostly for fitness and to better my health. I updated my watch to 10.1 and it went from 100% battery to 35% in two hours. So I called Apple support and they did some diagnostics and had me recharge my watch on low power mode and then wait to see if the battery issue happens again. It did of course, so I called again and they had me unpair my watch from my phone and then re-pair my watch to my phone as a new watch for 24hrs and see if the battery drains again. It did happen again, my watch battery went from 80% to 10% in one hour. It also couldn’t fully charge because the watch was getting too hot. So, I took my watch into an Apple Store to have it sent out and fixed. I got it back in a week and nothing had been fixed, the battery was still draining within a few hours. So, I looked on these discussion threads and found that some people had taken off all the 3rd party apps and that seemed to fix the issue. So, I did that and it worked! My watch charged to 100% and the battery didn’t drain at all.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2023 12:23 PM in response to eszter22

I got an Apple Watch series 9 in September 2023. I use it mostly for fitness and to better my health. I updated my watch to 10.1 and it went from 100% battery to 35% in two hours. So I called Apple support and they did some diagnostics and had me recharge my watch on low power mode and then wait to see if the battery issue happens again. It did of course, so I called again and they had me unpair my watch from my phone and then re-pair my watch to my phone as a new watch for 24hrs and see if the battery drains again. It did happen again, my watch battery went from 80% to 10% in one hour. It also couldn’t fully charge because the watch was getting too hot. So, I took my watch into an Apple Store to have it sent out and fixed. I got it back in a week and nothing had been fixed, the battery was still draining within a few hours. So, I looked on these discussion threads and found that some people had taken off all the 3rd party apps and that seemed to fix the issue. So, I did that and it worked! My watch charged to 100% and the battery didn’t drain at all.

10.1 update killed my Apple Watch battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.