Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Keys not working

im setting up a new Mac and noticed keys UIOLKJM are not responsive. How do I get them to work?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 7:14 AM

You didn't mention which MacBook Air model you have. I see MacOS 13.5 listed, so if yours is capable of it, I'd first recommend updating to the current MacOS 14.1 (Sonoma).

If you're up to date, first try a restart.

Next, try booting into Safe Mode and see if they work in this mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Next, I'd check System Settings (Preferences) and disable Mouse Keys in the Accessibility settings.

Next, I'd check System Settings (Preferences)-->Accessibility-->Keyboard and disable Slow Keys and Sticky Keys if they're enabled.

If none of the above do anything, you may have a hardware issue. Bring your Mac to the Apple Store and let the Genius bar take a look.

Hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2023 7:14 AM in response to ewelina102

You didn't mention which MacBook Air model you have. I see MacOS 13.5 listed, so if yours is capable of it, I'd first recommend updating to the current MacOS 14.1 (Sonoma).

If you're up to date, first try a restart.

Next, try booting into Safe Mode and see if they work in this mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Next, I'd check System Settings (Preferences) and disable Mouse Keys in the Accessibility settings.

Next, I'd check System Settings (Preferences)-->Accessibility-->Keyboard and disable Slow Keys and Sticky Keys if they're enabled.

If none of the above do anything, you may have a hardware issue. Bring your Mac to the Apple Store and let the Genius bar take a look.

Hope this helps.

Keys not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.