You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VMware x64 Virtualisation on Apple M3

Hi all! I'm exploring if the new MacBook Pro running the M3 line would suit my needs since I'm currently a PC user. A key requirement for me is to be able to run x64 Linux machines on VMware, and I understand that has been an issue with the M1/M2 chipsets.

Any idea if the M3 line overcomes this issue and would support x64 virtualisation?

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 7:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2023 12:48 AM

Apple Silicon Macs, including the M3, only support ARM-compiled virtual machines and ARM virtual machine guests, but there is one exception:

• UTM is the only software that would enable you to emulate x64 machines, and it's a lifesaver.
  • You can get it for free from their website or 10$ from the App Store for automatic updates.
13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 10, 2023 12:48 AM in response to Ouroboroskys

Apple Silicon Macs, including the M3, only support ARM-compiled virtual machines and ARM virtual machine guests, but there is one exception:

• UTM is the only software that would enable you to emulate x64 machines, and it's a lifesaver.
  • You can get it for free from their website or 10$ from the App Store for automatic updates.

Oct 31, 2023 7:36 AM in response to Ouroboroskys

Ouroboroskys wrote:

Hi all! I'm exploring if the new MacBook Pro running the M3 line would suit my needs since I'm currently a PC user. A key requirement for me is to be able to run x64 Linux machines on VMware, and I understand that has been an issue with the M1/M2 chipsets.

Any idea if the M3 line overcomes this issue and would support x64 virtualisation?

Check with the makers of VMWare to see what operating systems and hardware their product is compatible with.

Oct 31, 2023 10:35 PM in response to Ouroboroskys

Ouroboroskys Said:

"VMware x64 Virtualisation on Apple M3: Hi all! I'm exploring if the new MacBook Pro running the M3 line would suit my needs since I'm currently a PC user. A key requirement for me is to be able to run x64 Linux machines on VMware, and I understand that has been an issue with the M1/M2 chipsets. Any idea if the M3 line overcomes this issue and would support x64 virtualisation?"

-------

Use Parallels for a Silicon Chip Mac:

Using a Virtual Machine (VM) is safe. I'd recommend disable FTP in the settings so that things do not sync. On M3 MacsParallels is what to use. Is no more than Windows-in-a-Window

VMWare Fusion is for Intel:

Though it installs on a Mac, VMWare Fusion is still in the talks amongst Apple and VMWare Fusion's developers. I have my 2018 MBP and plan to keep it for some time. This is because it has an Intel processor. Thing is, it cannot go to Windows 11. Linux works just fin it it too.

Mar 11, 2024 12:05 AM in response to nikolai158

nikolai158 wrote:

начиная с айфон 5s Эпл перешла на 64 битную архитектуру

Automated translation (from Russian): "Starting with the iPhone 5s, Apple switched to 64-bit architecture."

The Intel x64 instruction set and the Apple Silicon instruction set may both feature 64-bit addressing - but that does not mean that the Intel x64 and Apple Silicon instruction sets are the same.

That would be like saying that the Russian words for "I am taking my cat to see the vet" are identical to the U.S. English words for "I am taking my cat to see the vet." There are pet cats and vets in both countries … but that, alone, is not enough to make the languages identical.

VMware x64 Virtualisation on Apple M3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.