Trying to reset an eMac g4 without apple keyboard

So i got these 4 emacs and im trying to clean them up and sell them.

I’ve seen other posts that say i need to press command+R but it looks like that doesn’t work for a windows keyboard. Even while using ctrl or windows key instead of command it doesn’t work. Is there a different way to do it? Like i want to find a way to burn an install cd or something to make it work, but i cant find any install files on the internet.

I hope someone can help me out because i am not selling them with important files on them.

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 8:30 AM

Command + R does not work on Macs that old.

You'll need a Tiger or Leopard macOS installation disk to boot from and reinstall macOS on the hard drive. The macOS version you need is deptermined by the processor speed.

700MHz or 800Mhz: Tiger

1GHz, Leopard.

See the following discussion:

I want to erase an eMac but I no longer h… - Apple Community

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2023 8:30 AM in response to senne48

Command + R does not work on Macs that old.

You'll need a Tiger or Leopard macOS installation disk to boot from and reinstall macOS on the hard drive. The macOS version you need is deptermined by the processor speed.

700MHz or 800Mhz: Tiger

1GHz, Leopard.

See the following discussion:

I want to erase an eMac but I no longer h… - Apple Community

Nov 3, 2023 5:57 PM in response to senne48

While Recovery Mode (Command + R) does not exist on any version of macOS compatible with PPC, you still may need to know the equivalent key on a Windows keyboard for actions like a PRAM Reset or using shortcuts within macOS for actions like Quit (Command + Q), or Copy & Paste (Command + C, Command + V), etc. You can use the Windows meta key (one with Windows logo on it) for the Command key. The Windows Alt key is used for the Apple Option (actually Option/Alt) key.

Nov 4, 2023 11:11 AM in response to senne48

Hi,

There was an old PowerPC version (dban-2.0.0_powerpc.iso) of a free utility called DBAN. Another computer was used to burn the ISO to a CD-R. The CD contained a small Linux system, and allowed at least G3 Macs to boot (with the C key depressed). It was then possible to select a suitable wiping method for the internal ATA hard drive. Whether this would work with a G4 eMac is unknown to me, but could possibly be worth a try. However, this would not install a new system on the hard disk. If Mac system discs cannot be found (for example, via an online auction site), an alternative may be an old (free) Ubuntu live CD for PowerPC, maybe 10.04 or earlier, if it can be located (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ).

Trying to reset an eMac g4 without apple keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.