Is a cracked MacBook bezel considered a cracked screen?

So, like several others I've seen on here, the bezel below the screen on my 13" M2 MacBook Air cracked, just outside of warranty. Due to other hardware issues I've had despite taking very good care of this incredibly fragile machine, I've decided I want to switch to a Mac mini for my desktop and use my iPad with a keyboard for any on-the-go stuff.

So how much does a cracked bezel affect the trade-in value? My screen is in flawless condition, save for that small crack in the bezel. There is no other physical damage/marks or anything in the area and the screen has never showed signs of failing.

My question is really in the title. I'm looking to get this traded in somewhere, and I would like to know if a faulty bezel is generally considered damage to the entire $500+ screen, or is on par with a non-problematic dent/scratch on the body.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 8:46 AM

Apple considers the Bezel part of the Display Assembly, so an official Apple repair will involve replacing the entire Display Assembly which is very expensive.

Technically it is possible to replace just the Bezel, but this would be an unofficial repair & require an experienced tech so that the numerous & fragile display cables beneath the Bezel are not damaged. I have performed this operation many times, but I also had years of experience dealing with the adhesive & the easily shattered glass Apple uses since I've had to do similar types of repairs for older models (removing the whole glass from the display of non-Retina Macs in tact, as well as iPads & iPhones). Most techs will not be able to do this repair without lots of practice since their first attempts will likely result in damaging the delicate display cables. The Bezel is inexpensive, but due to the difficulty Apple doesn't trust their own techs to be able to replace just the Bezel.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2023 8:46 AM in response to carsoncito03

Apple considers the Bezel part of the Display Assembly, so an official Apple repair will involve replacing the entire Display Assembly which is very expensive.

Technically it is possible to replace just the Bezel, but this would be an unofficial repair & require an experienced tech so that the numerous & fragile display cables beneath the Bezel are not damaged. I have performed this operation many times, but I also had years of experience dealing with the adhesive & the easily shattered glass Apple uses since I've had to do similar types of repairs for older models (removing the whole glass from the display of non-Retina Macs in tact, as well as iPads & iPhones). Most techs will not be able to do this repair without lots of practice since their first attempts will likely result in damaging the delicate display cables. The Bezel is inexpensive, but due to the difficulty Apple doesn't trust their own techs to be able to replace just the Bezel.

Nov 6, 2023 12:37 PM in response to HWTech

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I kind of figured as much.

I'm looking to sell my MacBook to an online refurbisher. Since the bezel is considered part of the display, would it make the most sense to count a cracked bezel that has not damaged the display as a "deep scratch in the screen that does not affect functionality"? I would imagine this bezel damage will not go any further or damage the display without being deliberately touched. Am I right in assuming that it's on par with a scratched display in that it's cosmetic and both issues would require a total replacement?

Sorry if this question is outside the scope of this forum, but I don't have a way to message the refurbisher directly to ask this, so your experienced input is appreciated!

Nov 6, 2023 1:53 PM in response to carsoncito03

The crack in the Bezel can get worse over time as it is now a weak point even if it is a single crack. I would not call it a scratch. A scratch is considered a cosmetic issue. A crack is a bit more than cosmetic even if it does not currently impact functionality. There is also a possibility that there is damaged to a cable beneath the cracked Bezel, but it may be intermittent. I had a laptop where I thought the Display was fine. After replacing the Bezel I was testing the laptop and discovered the Display would have intermittent issues. I am 95% certain I did not damage the cable during the repair. I may not have tested the laptop enough prior to the repair to be sure the Display was Ok since the issue did not reveal itself right away (I still had the laptop in my possession performing some basic tests). I did not see any damage to the cable so there is no way to know when the cable was damaged.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.