Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I’m getting error during Reinstall OS X Installation on MacBook Air 2010

Hello, while installing Yosemite in the OS X install section(App store sing in )on the MacBook Air 2010, an unexpected error occurred while signing in.

,The server gave an error during download: 403

Please help me with the Forbidden error. The device is in Turkey. ————-///-Additional information: I have been trying to install for a long time and in addition, I have been trying all Mac OS versions on the device for a long time, but only Mountain Lion was the one, but when I was trying to upgrade it to High Sierra, OS X crashed and now it is Yosemite. I try and I get this error too (translated with Google translate)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 6:26 PM

I'm actually having the exact same issue - even when I use Option-Command-R and Shift-Option-Command-R Yosemite 10.10 is the only option that comes up. Then when I try to log in with my apple creds I get the 403 error. I'm just trying to wipe it so I can sell it. Help!

Similar questions

41 replies

Nov 8, 2023 1:44 PM in response to Equal05

Got around the issue- seems to be a problem connecting to Apple's servers. The date and time provided by the server is not the same as the client computer

Solution:

restart iMac in recovery command+R

Open terminal

Set date with the command:

date {month}{day}{hour}{minute}{year}

where each of the brackets is a number

E.g. November 8th 2023 14:29 would become the following command:

date 110814292023

Should be able to reinstall OSX as normal after that. No need to create a bootable installer.

Nov 1, 2023 6:12 PM in response to Equal05

Equal05 Said:

"I am getting an error during the Reinstall OS X Installation on my MacBook Air 2010. 'An unexpected error occurred while signing in. The server gave an error during download: 403 Forbidden.'[...]"

-------

Thank you or the screenshot.

Use Ethernet:

"403" Indicates that there is an error connecting the a server (Apple's Update Server). So, try using Ethernet.

Nov 1, 2023 6:16 PM in response to Equal05

Download macOS 10.13 High Sierra, and use that.

Use Option-Command-R to boot Recovery:

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

PS: HTTP 403 is a blockage on the Apple server, meaning the requested file is blocked by server policy. I would not expect the choice of Wi-Fi or Ethernet to make a difference there as both will access the Internet from the same router and same IP address, and as MacBook Air lacks Ethernet connection, which makes that path more involved as it needs a dongle. Again, HTTP 403 is a server blockage, not a local issue.

Nov 1, 2023 6:35 PM in response to oldmacuser1234d6

oldmacuser1234d6 wrote:

I'm actually having the exact same issue - even when I use Option-Command-R and Shift-Option-Command-R Yosemite 10.10 is the only option that comes up. Then when I try to log in with my apple creds I get the 403 error. I'm just trying to wipe it so I can sell it. Help!

Old Macs are a pain, here. For most Macs, this was fixed somewhere ‘round 10.12, IIRC.

You’ll need a different Mac (and one able to run macOS 10.13) to build a bootable installer, then.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Or a discussion with Apple Support about the 403 error, and see if they can get that cleared.

Dec 12, 2023 8:56 AM in response to thethreadshed

thethreadshed wrote:

After I type in the date like that do I hit enter and close out terminal? I tried it that way but I still get the 403 error code and when I reopen terminal the date is no longer there.

That is the entire command followed by a return, yes.

Commands aren’t saved in this environment.

If the current date and time is already correct, resetting it (to {month}{day}{hour}{min}{year}) won’t help.

403 usually is an error at Apple; the file is protected against access. Not something that can be “fixed” locally.

Booting the latest macOS supported by the Mac is somewhat more likely to work, based on past discussions.

If the rest of this fails (as can happen), create a bootable installer on another Mac.

Apr 14, 2024 4:54 AM in response to Equal05

I am suffering the same problem with a 'El Capitan' re-installation on an old iMac.

It is very frustrating that Apple puts itself between an user and a new installation on such an old iMac.

For people who bought a secondhand iMac, they cannot aks the pre-owners for the Apple credentials to make the the Apple ID verification succesfull.

I found a few different instructions from Apple for the 'Apple ID problem' workaround, but none of those seems to work for me.

The best solution is for Apple to disgard the Apple ID verification for Apple cpu's older than, say 7 years.

In my opinion, there is no legit reasons for Apple to put itself between the user and there legacy hardware for those old systems. If Apple still thinks otherwise, then they should put more effort in it to make the re-installation much easier than current.

Nevertheless, i do appriciate the free Apple support on legacy Apple cpu's. Keep up this good work, but make the Apple support for yourself also simple, by skipping the Apple ID verifications on old Cpu's.

Dec 12, 2023 1:14 PM in response to Kris1776

Kris1776 wrote:

The date doesn’t work. And my desktop has the correct date. How do I get around this 403 error without that intel regarding changing the date?

If requesting the most recent version of macOS supported for the particular Mac does not work via Recovery (⌥⌘R at power-up), then download and build a bootable installer on another Mac that can also run whatever older macOS version you're looking for, and boot and use that bootable installer to boot this old Mac.

It's been linked up-thread, but here it is again: Create a bootable installer - Apple Support

Recovery on older Macs was not good at that ⌥⌘R chord, and would get the oldest supported version for the Mac—they'd switch ⌥⌘R to ⌘R, or the user would enter ⌘R. If it's that oldest macOS version that is is getting the 403 error here, then you'll need to request a different macOS version for recovery with ⌥⌘R (where that works) or by using a different Mac and a bootable installer.

I’m getting error during Reinstall OS X Installation on MacBook Air 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.