You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 battery dropping from 63% to 0%

Battery draining, from 63% to 0 instantly

Since installing the last couple of is updates - latest today of iOS 15.8, I have noticed battery draining that is just out of the ordinary. With a battery health rating of 100%, it should no the the fault of the battery which is only a few months old. Using an app such as The Met Office or Reddit will see the phone - usually charged to 63% - reboot without warning, and then claim to have only 10% left. There is just no reason for this savage emptying of the battery, which has me leaving the phone on charge just to use it. This is totally ridiculous and is obviously Something to do with the last few OS upgrades in a bid to get me to buy another phone - I have performed all recommended trouble shooting steps to no avail - any help here would be appreciated as if I need a new phone it certainly won’t be an Apple one!

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 11:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 1:06 AM

Hello , I have the same problem in my IPhone 7.

After update 15.8 my battery dropped drastically to 1%.

I noticed later when I turned off the phone and turned it back on, the iPhone shows a higher percentage, for example 70%, but then it drops again!

They need to fix it as quickly as possible! I don't want to always carry my iPhone on the charger

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 13, 2023 1:06 AM in response to Tomobiki

Hello , I have the same problem in my IPhone 7.

After update 15.8 my battery dropped drastically to 1%.

I noticed later when I turned off the phone and turned it back on, the iPhone shows a higher percentage, for example 70%, but then it drops again!

They need to fix it as quickly as possible! I don't want to always carry my iPhone on the charger

Nov 30, 2023 1:03 AM in response to Morningstar976

Hello there, I have an iPhone 6S, and I'm on my third battery. I change roughly every 2 years, when the performances of the battery start to decrease.

The most recent one is roughly 6 month old so it's fair to say it's still in pretty good conditions.

And I have exactly the same issue than you all after updating to iOS 15.8!

--------------

Battery behaves well sometimes, but most of the times it randomly starts to drain:

From 80% to 0%

From 70% to 0%

From 60% to 0%

etc...

It's quite random. But frequent! Let's say it happens 6 days out of 7.

--------------

Sometimes also, the phone simply shuts down even though the battery indicates a high number such as 70% for example.

And I can't even restart the phone f because the battery is empty!

When I plug the phone to charge it and turn it on again, the battery indicates 1%.

=> Does anyone know how to track the updates Apple is working on? Or is there any way to see if they acknowledged this bug?

=> Is there any way to downgrade my version of iOS and go back to an older version?

Jan 3, 2024 4:13 PM in response to Morningstar976

Just wanted to share my experience which is that I also have this issue but on 6s. I will charge my phone overnight to 100% and after taking it off charge it will suddenly turn off and turn on at 10%. Or randomly drop at any point.

Now after initially trying to restart and get the battery to show the correct value (because I’m not fooled by these drops) I now just use my phone at 10% or even 1% for the whole day and this includes listening to music and FaceTimes as well as other daily calls, messages and use of various apps.

The battery indicator is completely out of whack due to a software bug as many have pointed out here. Unhelpful comments such as “IPhone 6s and 7 are old and need the battery replaced” make no sense as it has already been mentioned by others that some have replaced their battery and others have it at 100% health like myself.

This software issue clearly affects people so I am not sure why there is always someone on here denying that it is in fact software related.

In an early IOS 15 update I had an issue where the battery would drop to 1% suddenly but a complete drain would fix it but in this case with IOS 15.8 it is just completely out of whack as I said and hopefully it shall fix itself with a future update if there is ever is one.

Nov 2, 2023 11:40 PM in response to Morningstar976

Hello, i have the same problem on my old Iphone6S, the battery is original and replaced 4 month ago, i have this battery drain from 30%-40% to 0% also in standby, i need plug in the recharge cable to boot up the phone and having only 10% left.

This problem started on the last update, ios 15.8. This is a sofware bug , as said before my battery is original and 100%capacity !!

Fix it !!

Dec 15, 2023 1:26 AM in response to Morningstar976

Hi, I have been having the exact same problem on 2 iPhone SE (2016) and 2 iPhone 7 since iOS 15.8. Battery life was really good before iOS 15.8. (Battery health between 90% and 100% on these 4 iPhones).

Moreover, a few times a day, those iPhones on iOS 15.8 freeze and restart after like 2 minutes without any reason.

This is clearly a software problem since iOS 15.8, Apple needs to fix it.

Nov 2, 2023 1:26 PM in response to Morningstar976

iPhone 7 is > 7 years old, which also affects the battery life. The hardware remains old, so does the battery.

If it is still possible, have the battery replaced.

The battery can be replaced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

See this Apple article: iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

If you are going to replace the battery, see -> Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

The price is approx $ 69.

If you want to know exactly, call Apple directly, see Contact Apple for support and service -> Contact Apple for support and service – Apple Support (UK) 

or 

call 1-800-MY-APPLE

note:

You have to decide for yourself whether it is still worth having the battery replaced.

-----

Considering a newer type of iPhone?

Read this before you buy a newer type iPhone.

iPhone 7 battery dropping from 63% to 0%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.