You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Email - Is it Apple or Cox?

First, I have Cox for my internet. For about 4 weeks or more, when signing in to read my email I get the following message: "There was an internal error. Please try again". Trying again does nothing. In addition, every once in awhile the email system works......then an hour later it doesn't work and I get that dreaded message. I can discern no notable pattern. After 4 phone calls to Cox, with no success, the last Cox rep said they were getting numerous calls about the same issue and the one commonality was that all were using Safari.

So........I decided to call Apple. The Apple rep was professional, concerned, offered numerous actions to correct the problem but ultimately a day later the problem returned. The Apple rep did offer a helpful suggestion - try google or firefox or whatever. and see if that works. I downloaded Firefox and so far it has worked every time.

That's great but come on - it's a Mac it should work every time with Safari unless the problem actually does rest with Cox.

Need some help, suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 1:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 11:48 AM

No problem retaining your Cox email address.

This Apple Support article describes how to set up Apple Mail: Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

For your Cox email to be added, you'll want to choose "Other" when it asks what type of account you want to add. At that point you'll only need to enter your Cox email address and your Cox email password. Mail will verify them, and at that point you're all set.

When you get mail, you'll notice a red number on top of the Mail icon on your Mac. This red number indicates how many new email messages you have.

There's an entire Apple Mail User Guide that may be helpful to you: Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

(Note that using an iCloud email alias is also an option as Old Toad has described, and you're certainly welcome to go that way. What I've described might be a bit less confusing).

Hope this helps.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2023 11:48 AM in response to Bob13018

No problem retaining your Cox email address.

This Apple Support article describes how to set up Apple Mail: Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

For your Cox email to be added, you'll want to choose "Other" when it asks what type of account you want to add. At that point you'll only need to enter your Cox email address and your Cox email password. Mail will verify them, and at that point you're all set.

When you get mail, you'll notice a red number on top of the Mail icon on your Mac. This red number indicates how many new email messages you have.

There's an entire Apple Mail User Guide that may be helpful to you: Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

(Note that using an iCloud email alias is also an option as Old Toad has described, and you're certainly welcome to go that way. What I've described might be a bit less confusing).

Hope this helps.

Nov 3, 2023 10:27 AM in response to Bob13018

I have 3 email providers: google, yahoo and Apple. Apple is by far the more reliable IMO. You might consider getting an Apple email and slowly move over to it.

You can set it up with three aliases:

Original: Bob13018.@icloud.com

Alias 1: your business moniker@iCloud.com - if you use it for business.

Alias 2: xxxxxx@iCloud.com

Alias 3: zzzzzzz@iCloud.com (I have one I use for all online purchases and if I start getting lots of spam emails I can stop the alias and after a month or so add a new alias).

Just some food for thought.

Problems with Email - Is it Apple or Cox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.